Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to detach the old toilet seat to replace it with a new one?

my2108
Getting Established

How to detach the old toilet seat to replace it with a new one?

Hi all, I have watched a few YT video on how to replace the toilet cover and seat. All points to unscrewing from the back of the toilet bowl. But I have a toilet which has its back of the bowl sealed to the wall, there is no where I can unscrew to loosen the knot of the toilet cover, does anyone have any clue how I can do this one?IMG_6611.JPGIMG_6612.JPG

Marty_greenshed
Having an Impact

Re: How to detach the old toilet seat to replace it with an new one.

Hi,  

Usually these types of seats detach from the top.. Check out this vid   (not from bunnings) but maybe relevant to your seat.  Yours looks like it has the quick release buttons at the front there?  This looks like it might pop off where you can access the hardware to remove the seat.  toilet seat.jpg

Let me know how you go.

Cheers 

Marty.

Hi @my2108 

I know what you mean you cant access underneath or behind.  Basically you shouldnt need too get underneath as those  metal pin/bolts screw into a rubber with a screw on the end as the screw tightens the rubber is forced to expand holding it in  the  porcelain by friction.

Follow Martys advice and  that whole toilet seat will lift of the metal  pins sticking out of the porcelain once  you find the buttons to press in on and  lift it off,

Once you see the metal  pins turn the pins  with  spanner anti clockwise and the screw will undo every 4 turns try lifting the pin out by tugging on them but not like the hulk.  Turn anti clock wise 4 more turns try again.

The worst thing that can happen is the nuts  unscrew all the way and they drop off inside the porcelain.  This is not a  problem your new seat should have new fitting hardware.  Or get new  toilet seat fittings bunnings show the plumber there they can  help remedy missing nuts.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @my2108. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a toilet seat.

It's great that you've received some helpful replies from @Marty_greenshed and @Jewelleryrescue.

With the lid up, have you tried pulling the set directly upwards? As mentioned, there are likely pins that the seat hinges are pushed down onto. Alternatively, look for those release buttons. @Marty_greenshed has highlighted a suspicious area where they could be. Also, try closing the lid and looking at the hinge area from behind the seat, as there could be release buttons located there.

Please let us know how you go, and shout out if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Marty - I did poke around the area you mentioned and managed to detach some rubber out of it...but then it doesn help detaching anything.photo_2023-01-23_12-46-05.jpg

my2108
Getting Established

HI Guys, I did try to lift the whole thing upward and its super firm...I took a pic after managed to remove the white plastic as highlighted by Marty...I will see if there is anyone else who could chip-in.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I have a feeling that the slot you've exposed is designed to have a specific key pushed into it @my2108. The key would push that internal hinge pin to the right and disengage it from the hinge on the left. Place a medium-sized flathead screwdriver in the slot. Push it hard against the internal white section and then lever the handle to your left using the plastic of the seat as a fulcrum. You want to try and lever or push that internal white section to the right. 

I could be completely wrong, but I would imagine that's the only reason that cap came off.

Mitchell

Edit: I've just created a rendering to help explain my theory. I believe a pin for the hinge is likely held into the hinge with a spring. You must compress the spring by pushing the pin to the right. There appears to be a slight taper on the pin, so you can see how pushing a solid key straight into the gap would force the pin to the right.

Hi @my2108  @MitchellMc idea of a flat bladed  srew driver  should be getting close to releasing the seat.

Hi everyone, ends up it’s just brute force to pull upward…not screw driver, no valve or anything tricky.85FC856E-D047-45DC-AAE0-02111FF01607.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @my2108

Thank you very much for the update. I'm glad you managed to figure out the elusive locking fixture of the toilet seat. I'm sure this information will come in handy for members with the same type of toilet seat.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects