Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to divert laundry sink outlet to diverter hose to water garden?

ScottBell
Just Starting Out

How to divert laundry sink outlet to diverter hose to water garden?

Hello,

I'm interested in redirecting the outlet from my laundry sink to the garden in order to make use of the greywater. Unfortunately, I've been having some difficulty finding the right fitting for this purpose.

Could you please advise me on the type of fitting I need to attach a diverter hose to the threaded outlet beneath the sink? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to divert laundry sink outlet to diverter hose to water garden?

Good Morning @ScottBell 

I have heard of people diverting laundry grey water and even bathroom (not sewage) grey water but Id be a little hesitant of using greywater from the kitchen sink as it will contain a lot of oils and solids even. 

Just had a squiz on Bunnings and these two came up Grey water diverters but they are for rainwater. I know certain councils will let you divert greywater but havnt heard of any that will allow kitchen sink greywater diversions. 

Are you planing to have a filtration system to allow solids to be filtered out/settled? I Have had long term thoughts about filtering my 45,000L pool with reed beds and various other ways but havnt come up with anything I am happy to try and implement :smile:

One last thing, do you have a photo of where you want to divert the waste water from (under the sink or under the house) type deal?

Dave

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to divert laundry sink outlet to diverter hose to water garden?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ScottBell. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about diverting greywater.

As this is considered plumbing work, any diversion device would need to be installed by a registered plumber who will follow the regulations in your state. You'll need to check with your local council or regulatory body to determine if you can divert to the garden bed or an irrigation system. If you can, you'll likely have to have a diverter valve built into the system to divert the water to sewage in case of a blockage. It's also recommended to have a grease trap installed in the line.

Please note that in some states the advisory of "Don’t use greywater from the kitchen sink or dishwasher, as this can be contaminated with grease, bacteria and chemicals." is in place.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects