Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure shower floor grate is level?

Vahid
Finding My Feet

How to ensure shower floor grate is level?

Hi, I am tiling the shower floor on existing tiles, the problem I have is the floor grate which needed to be elevated to the new tiles level ( a bit lower). Does anyone know if there is any spacer or method available in the market to do this? thanks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shower floor grate

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Vahid. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing tiles over tiles in a shower.

There are a few options. The first is to remove the current waste and install a new one at the correct height. Or, you can remove the drain grate and try to find another one that will fit into the old outlet. But, if you are only raising the thickness of one tile, you could consider keeping the current outlet and grate at that height. It will only be slightly recessed below the tile. You can finish the edge of the tiles with grout and taper them down into the outlet.

The problem I assume you will face is that you are only raising the floor the thickness of a tile. That's not enough height to install a spacer or stack another grate on top. The most appropriate way to resolve this issue is to carefully remove the old grate without damaging the membrane and install a new grate at the correct height. If in doubt, I'd suggest you consider employing the services of a qualified plumber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc 

thanks for the reply, the drain grate is the old type (photo) and I am not sure how to remove it without breaking, should I turn it anti-clockwise? should I

remove the grout around it? do I need to het a new outlet module if I want to replace it? I prefer to install a rectangular grate rather than a round one. 

IMG_20230312_151844_MP.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

To remove the grate you'd turn it anti-clockwise @Vahid. It might be a 1/8th turn or you might need to unscrew it. To remove the outlet you'd need to cut the grout out from around the outer edge. Once the grout is cut away you should be able to lever it out of position. The grout can be cut away with a grout saw or a retractable knife. Make sure you wear appropriate PPE when using the knife like gloves and safety glasses. Also, make sure to cut away from yourself.

To replace it with a square outlet, once you've removed the current outlet you'll likely need to cut a square rebate into the existing tiles so the new grate can sit down into them. That way when you install the tiles they'll finish flush with the top of the grate.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects