Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish old concrete floor to nice new indoor space?

Wendy_L
Finding My Feet

How to finish old concrete floor to nice new indoor space?

Hi all!

We are embarking on a big project of turning our downstairs space (enclosed but not sealed) into a full living space. The flooring is steel troweled concrete. It’s well done however has been used as a workshop by previous owners, so it’s grotty with a few dents here and there. We don’t think it’s been sealed. 
first up is a small room off to the side which we are doing up the toilet and laundry, which means I have a small room to play with the floor. 

What I’ve done:

-stripped all glues etc from floor

-started an acid etch (but discovered another strip of glue)

-attempted to lift rust (mostly gone)

-test patch’s of floor sealer finishes (Cromellin DiamondCoat natural and satin, neither of which do I like)

What I’m planning:

-finish stripping sneaky glue

-give light sand with orbital sander (😬, not idea, I know, but it is just a small space and someone on the internet has done it with silica carbide disks, so why not try?!?!)

-finish acid wash

-sealing with Crommelin exposed aggregate finish tinted mid grey

Any tips, exclamations, directives? 😆

For the bigger main space we’ll hire a big sander but it’ll be nice to get an idea of the finish in this smaller room.

thanks in advance!

Wendy

image.jpg

image.jpg

5236B551-05BF-4301-BDFF-4BD3FA7D288D.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish old concrete floor to nice new indoor space?

Hello @Wendy_L

What an exciting project! There are just so many possibilities when it comes to turning an empty area into a living space. I've nothing against the Crommelin paint system. But have you considered using the HanWood Home 5mm 2.64sqm Capella Oak Hybrid Waterproof Flooring? This is a 100% waterproof flooring panel and can be used in high moisture areas such as laundry and kitchen areas. It's easier to install and provides a much friendlier surface to step on when winter comes around. 

However, if you have your heart set on paint, the steps you've mentioned are spot on. Preparation is the key to the entire project. If the surface has been cleaned properly with all possible contaminants removed, the paint will have an excellent surface to adhere to. Using the acid wash and an etching compound should be more than adequate to prepare the surface, but if you wish to use an orbital sander that will work as well.

There is also the option of using an Epoxy Paint System - How to apply epoxy to a garage floor by @prettyliving. It has a different finish compared to the other two, but this system is strong enough to withstand a car running over it.   

Here are some handy step by step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your reply Eric!

The finish I was going to try was this one…I named it incorrectly in my original post. 🙃 So a clear coat, as opposed to painting. 
https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-10l-diamondcoat-clear-exposed-aggregate-and-polished-concrete-...

We had briefly discussed other flooring options but part of the main reason for moving living spaces downstairs is actually the cooler ground/space. 😊 We live in far North Queensland so any drop in temperature is a VERY welcome relief. 😆

We are quite excited to see it all EVENTUALLY come together… very possibly it’ll take us years! 😬🤪

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wendy_L

I had suspected you were referring to the Crommelin 10L DiamondCoat Clear Exposed Aggregate And Polished Concrete Sealer. Hence the reference to the orbital sander. I suggest renting a cement floor polisher one that can do a wet polish. This will keep the dust down and you won't have to wear a mask. Compared to dry polishing where it creates a great deal of cement dust. Just keep that in mind when you're looking at the rental machines.

How big is the entire area? Will you be fitting everything in like the kitchen, living room, and dining or is it just a sleeping area? 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your renovation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric. 

8B89318D-4738-467E-A395-BF1972A25286.jpeg

Yes, the big area will definitely require a big sander…it’s about 8x8m. I’ll be sure to get a wet one. 👍🏼 The bigger machine is a tad daunting! 
The main area will have kitchen, dining living and new front entrance. All open. The rooms off to the side are office and laundry (current project). Smaller rooms are good practice spaces for the main floor. 😁

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wendy_L

Thank you so much for the picture and measurement updates. How much space have you allocated for the laundry and office? I would be more than happy to do a sketch for you in order for you to see possible layout scenarios. If you had a specific look in mind please let me know.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects