Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a bathroom exhaust fan?

alicexxx
Just Starting Out

How to fix a bathroom exhaust fan?

Hi everyone, I need a quote to see how much it would cost to fix an exhaustion fan in my bathroom. It is controlled through a switch on the wall and it doesn’t work. I am asking for a residential apartment. 

Not sure if this is an electrical issue??? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom Exhaust Fan Not Working

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @alicexxx. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about bathroom exhausts.

You might like to take advantage of our exhaust fan installation offer. All you need to do is purchase an exhaust fan from our range and then make a booking for it to be installed at the Special Orders desk or online.

To get a quote to troubleshoot your issue you'd need to employ the services of a qualified tradesperson. I'd suggest you consider using services like Hi-Pages that assist with connecting customers to tradespersons.

Let me mention a couple of our electricians, @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ  to see if they could give you a rough idea of the cost or assist with troubleshooting the issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RSS
Cultivating a Following

@alicexxxThe following would need to be done on a ladder, so you will need to be comfortable working on a ladder. 

Ensuring the fan power is switched off, you can usually remove the fan grill to access three to four screws that hold the fan in.  Loosen the screws and lower the fan unit.  Follow the power lead with your hand into the roof space,  The power lead will go to a power point where you can unplug it or to a hardwired junction box.  If it is hardwired, you will need to consult a licensed electrician.  You could test the plug by plugging something else (like a light) into it and turning it on.  If the power point works, then replace the fan with a new one.  Replacing with a new one is just the reverse of removing the old one.  Bathroom exhaust fans generally come in two sizes, 200mm and 250mm; just measure the size (diameter - side to side) of the hole in the ceiling.  You can get smaller exhaust fans 100mm - 150mm, but these are less common.

To 'try' and compare replacement fans look at -

• Diameter/size, mm
  • Volume of air they move per hour, m3/hr (cubic mtrs/hr)
  • Sound level, dB
  • To a lesser degree, Power usage, watts
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @alicexxx 

If you decide to inspect the exhaust fan connection yourself, please make sure to wear PPE such as safety rubber gloves, goggles and a dust mask. It's also important to get a second pair of hands to hold the ladder while you work at height. One other safety step you can take is to turn off the power from your junction box before you begin your inspection. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects