Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a chip in bathtub?

jennifer2
Just Starting Out

How to fix a chip in bathtub?

BF691D6C-3DF8-48D5-AAB1-43D1D40817C7.jpeg

Hi there

I have a small chip in the bathtub and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which products is best suited to fix this. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix a chip in bathtub

Hello @jennifer2

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about fixing your bathtub.

I suggest using the PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste it's waterproof, non-toxic, and once dry can be sanded down. By just mixing a small batch you should be able to cover that chip and lightly sand it down to make it blend in with the tub. However, if it is a porcelain tub I suggest using White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. It dries to a tough, tile-like finish to restore previously discoloured or unsightly surfaces.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric much appreciated. With the PC11 white epoxy paste, once it’s all dry do I need to paint it to seal or anything or is it good to go once dry? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jennifer2

There is no need to paint it. It dries white and is ready to go. Please remember that you can sand it down if you've put too much on. It would be great if you could post an update of the repair once it's done. I'm sure our members would like to see what the repair looks like.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

How can you tell if it’s enamel? I’ve been told my bath tub is metal would that mean it has an enamel coat? It is black underneath the chip. It.’s quite a big chip my kid dropped something on the edge of the bath. Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Vinnierose1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your enamel bath.

One of the best ways to tell if you have a steel bath is to get a fridge magnet and see if it will stick to the sidewall of the bath. If the fridge magnet sticks on, it is definitely a steel bath. If it just slides off it is a fibreglass bath. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bath repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

13M
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric, jumping onto this thread as I have a similar problem. I only need to prolong the life of our bath by around 5 years or so before we replace it so don't want to spend too much - are there any more cost effective products/solutions than the White Knight product?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @13M

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your bathtub.

The two products that we usually recommend for metal baths are Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing Kit and White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. The third option is a recommendation of using a cutting wax and a polish. Regardless of what kind of tub you have, the third option will work on both metal and acrylic baths.

Soap wax, lime deposits and body oils actually cling and coat your bath. By giving it a deep and thorough polish you can bring your bath back to its original shine. I recommend using Josco Brumby 75mm Mushroom Polishing Buff and your choice of wax. This would be the most cost-effective solution to give your bath that much needed revamp.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

WN
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info, jumping on this thread as well 😊

Does any sanding, spirit cleaning or any other preparation need to be done on or around the chip prior to applying PC-11?

And if sanding is required prior, and for sanding once dried, what grade of paper would you recommend?

Chips are in a pressed metal tub.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Will

Bathtub chipped enamel.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @WN

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

I suggest washing the area with dishwashing soap and a green pad scrubber. This will clear the spot of oil, wax and soap residue, your goal is to make sure that it is free and clear of loose chips and debris before you start putting on the PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste. No pre-sanding is required as the surface you are working on is already rough. Once the area is totally dry, you can begin the application of the epoxy paste.

I suggest not making the patch too high or proud of the surface of the tub. I recommend feathering the edges so that the patch blends in with its surroundings. Once the epoxy has cured, you can sand it down starting at 240 grit and going for a 320+ grit or higher. If you've laid the patch evenly, only moderate sanding will be necessary to flatten the patch.   

Please make sure to post a picture of the finished repair job. I'm sure our members would be keen to see the final results of the patch.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects