Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a chip in bathtub?

jennifer2
Just Starting Out

How to fix a chip in bathtub?

BF691D6C-3DF8-48D5-AAB1-43D1D40817C7.jpeg

Hi there

I have a small chip in the bathtub and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which products is best suited to fix this. 

rln801
Just Starting Out

Re: how to fix a chip in bathtub

Hi Eric,

Have read the thread, thank you.  

I'm a little confused with the recommendation for metal tub with enamel coating.  

Should you first use the epoxy then one of the two products you recommend for metal baths? Or you don't need the epoxy if you use one of the two recommended solutions? 

Thank you 

Bec

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Bec (@rln801). It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a bathtub.

The PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste is used to fill any damage on the surface like chips. Once those holes are repaired the White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint is applied over the repaired section and tub. The epoxy paste repairs damage, and the tub paint resurfaces and rejuvenates the bath.

It really just depends on what type of damage you are trying to repair. You might like to post an image of your issue so our helpful members can better understand what to suggest.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_7097.jpegThis is the chip i have in my enamel bath tub. Am I correct that you are saying that the repair is a two-three stage process? Clean the area, fill the chip with PC-11 epoxy then paint with the White Knight Tub & Basin. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DarrenN and thanks for joining in the discussion.

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @MitchellMc and @EricL to assist you as soon as possible.

We trust that you'll get plenty of help and inspiration for all your projects around the home and garden from our wonderful community. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share. 

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DarrenN,

That would be correct; it's a three-stage process. The filler must also be sanded flat to blend into the surrounding area. 

You might like to apply the filler and see if you are happy with the colour difference. However, I think you'll find the "white" filler ends up being quite grey.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

The coat of my bathtub has started to chip. Would you recommend using White Knight Tub And Basin Paint to cover these chips, or is there a better alternative?

The bath is made of metal in case that's important.

Thanks!

Bathtub.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Richard4. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a bathtub.

Would I be right in thinking that the chipping layer is a paint that was previously applied over the original paint? It looks like this bath has been re-painted previously, and the painted layer hasn't adhered well. The paint is now delaminating, and any of this compromised paint needs to be removed before you can apply a new tub paint. I recommend preparing this surface and sanding the flaking areas with 120-grit sandpaper; remember to wear a dust mask. Remove all the chipping paint and then sand back into the non-chipped area until you reach solid paint that is well bound. You can then swap to 240-grit sandpaper and smooth out any rough spots. You'll then be able to clean the tub thoroughly and re-paint with White Knight Tub and Basin. I am not aware of any better product, and I've successfully used it myself.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Thanks for your reply Mitchell. 

I think you're right that the chipping layer has been applied over the original paint.

Would you recommend re-painting the entire bathtub, or just re-painting the areas that have chipped?

Thanks again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd recommend repainting the entire bath @Richard4. It will provide an additional layer of protection to the current paint and will help blend in the repaired section. If you were to paint just the repair, the paint would likely be a slightly different white, and you'll be able to see the repair clearly.

Mitchell

Semi
Just Starting Out

bathtub.jpgHi EricL, can I use the PC-11 56g White Epoxy paste to fix this please? thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects