Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a chip in bathtub?

jennifer2
Just Starting Out

How to fix a chip in bathtub?

BF691D6C-3DF8-48D5-AAB1-43D1D40817C7.jpeg

Hi there

I have a small chip in the bathtub and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which products is best suited to fix this. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix a chip in bathtub

Hello @Semi

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

I'm so sorry, but I can't make out the full extent of the damage to your tub. Would it be possible for you to take a closer photo of the damaged area? Our members can then make an assessment of the chip on your tub. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. Has your tub been painted or re-surfaced before? If it has, I recommend sanding down the tub and removing as much of the old surface paint that's been applied. I propose re-finishing the tub with the White Knight Tub and Basin on the condition that it is a ceramic-metallic tub. If it is a PVC acrylic tub, the tub and basin paint will not work on it.  

Fixing the chip with the PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste will not prevent the chip from getting larger. You could use the epoxy paste as a patch repair, but it will stand out because it will cure to an off-white colour. If your tub has been re-coated, it is likely that the old coat that's been put on your tub is beginning to deteriorate. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Semi
Just Starting Out

Thanks your reply EricL, It's been re-surfaced before and it is a peeled old paint due the dripping water, not crack. I also used the magnet to discover it is a steel bath. so how do I repair to get it back to useable condition please? thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Semi

If it has been re-surfaced it will need to be sanded down before you can apply the White Knight Tub and Basin. If you have a look a few posts back you'll see that @MitchellMc has outlined how to sand the tub and prepare it for recoating. But to give you the general outline, you need to use 120-grit sandpaper and finish off with a  240-grit to smooth out the surface. Your goal is to remove all the weak parts of the paint surface. The strong parts can be left behind, but you'll need to smooth out all the rough parts to hide the old paint render. 

Give the tub a good wash with just water and make sure that it is totally dry before you begin painting the surface.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a bath    

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

TCA87
Just Starting Out

Hello Eric,

Thanks for this very informative post. I wonder if you could provide guidance on my situation. I have a metal bathtub that was re-enameled about 5 years ago and the paint is now peeling off as pictured. We are planning to renovate in 3-6 months but would like to do something to hold it over until then as our kids now refuse to get in the bath! Would White Knight Tub and Basin or White Epoxy Paste help with this, or is there another solution to patch it up and stop it from getting much worse?

Thank youIMG_8757 (1).jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TCA87

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

I suggest doing the same steps for your bath, give it a good sanding down and try to remove all the paint that's failing. Smooth out the parts that stay and give it a good clean before you apply the White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. Preparation is the key to a long-lasting finish. If done properly the tub and basin paint should last you a long while before needing to repaint again.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects