Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a hairline crack in the vanity basin?

FixRookie
Just Starting Out

How to fix a hairline crack in the vanity basin?

PXL_20220107_005831848.jpg

Hi all,

I am new to this and would like to seek some advice on how to fix the above bathroom vanity basin hairline crack.

It was caused by a bottle dropped onto it and caused a few minor cracks.  On previous posts I saw, someone suggested a Selleys Porcelain Fix kit.  But, I don't think Bunnings stock such item anymore.

Any tips would be much appreciated.  

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a hairline crack in the vanity basin?

Hello @FixRookie

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fixing hairline cracks in your vanity basin. 

One of the difficulties with repairing porcelain is trying to match its colour. At the time, the Selleys Porcelain Fix kit was the way to go, but even that was not a perfect colour match. I suggest using a sealing agent like Gorilla Glue 51ml Clear Bottle. The glue will penetrate the crack and seal it off preventing dirt and mould from forming inside the crack. The glue dries clear and will not hide the damage, but it will make the basin usable. 

Another recommendation is to use PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste. I suggest using a tight disposable glove and applying the paste in a firm feathering motion. Once the product hardens it can be sanded down. Please note that the product dries off white and will not match your basin colour. One other option to touch up the repair is to use Rust-Oleum Appliance Touch-Up in conjunction with a Nylon Round Craft Paint Brush - Size 2. The Rust-Oleum Appliance Touch-Up will have to be specially ordered at the Special Orders Desk, again it will dry white but will not exactly match your basin finish.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your basin repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

sink.jpg

Hi: I have several hairline cracks in a ceramic bathroom sink. You can hardly feel them when you rub your finger across the sink, but you can see them and more and more are developing. I do not know which product to use as there isn't any gap between them to use a filler, epoxy or glue. The underside of the basin seems intact, so at this stage they are merely cosmetic, but I would like to hide them if possible and to try to stop further cracks developing. Thanks for your advice

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @andybowie. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing cracks in a sink.

If these are cracks in the glazing, then it might not be possible to disguise them, and I can't think of any way you could prevent more from occurring. Whilst shopping the other day, I did come across Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Touch Up Kit. I was super-excited to find it as we haven't had a small quantity of a two-part paint before. If there were any gaps in these cracks, then you could likely fill them with this paint. Unlike filler, it's much less viscous and more likely to fill any void. I'd suggest you apply it to the cracks and immediately wipe off any on the surrounding surface. I wouldn't suggest you just paint over the cracks, as that will just leave white lines on the ceramic.

The other thing I'd suggest is that since it seems to be a relatively newish sink, you might like to ask the manufacturer whether this glaze crazing is expected. If it were one of our sinks, I'd be happy to enquire on your behalf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

HI Mitchell: thanks for your advice. Yes, the sink and vanity are only 5 years old so I'm surprised at the cracking too. I did buy from Bunnings, the item is attached. Any chance you could enquire with the manufacturer whether this is unusual and ask for advice to fix, please? Many thanksimage.pngimage.png

Hi @andybowie,

I'll reach out to the supplier after the holiday weekend and get back to you. Thanks for your patience.

Mitchell

Hi @andybowie,

I've sent you an email regarding proof of purchase. Once I have that, I can submit a request for a warranty claim.

Many thanks.

Mitchell

Thanks for those documents, @andybowie. I'll let you know when I have heard back from CIBO.

Many thanks for your patience.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell: any word from CIBO on the issue above? Many thanks

Hi @andybowie 

I apologise, as I would have thought that CIBO After Sales Manager would have been in contact with you by now. I've just emailed again to check where we are at. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects