Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaking shower head?

VivekM
Getting Established

How to fix a leaking shower head?

I have a leaking shower head which I'm trying to fix. I have tried replacing tap valves, body washers and o-rings in both hot and cold taps. Inspected the tap seats and they seems to be alright (Don't want to use the tap reseater). Shower head still leaks.

The spindles seems to be old and shows a little bit of wear at the bottom. Are they the reason for the leakage in the shower head?

Additional work done: Bonnet cleaner is used to clean the inside thread of the bonnet and lubricated spindle threads and o-rings. 

I have enclosed a few photographs for reference. Requesting advice on fixing the leak from experts and members?

Hot & cold tapsHot & cold tapsLeaking shower headLeaking shower headLeakLeak

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a leaking shower head?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @VivekM. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a leaking tap.

From what you have described and due to the washers you've replaced, the only remaining issue is likely worn or cracked tap seats. A faulty tap valve or seat are the only two issues resulting in water leaking from the shower head. A faulty body washer or spindle o-ring will cause a leak at the tap itself and drip there.

If you don't want to grind the seat, you can try these seat replacements. Typically, they'd only be used when the seat can't be resurfaced or is cracked, but you could give them a go.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VivekM
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell.

I will check the tap seats and give it a go with the grinding first.

VivekM
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

After using the tap seat resurfacing tool, I found a crack on one of the tap seats. I couldn't be able to feel the crack earlier. You were spot on :smile:

Crack in the tap seat.jpg

I tried to grind further around 3mm and the crack doesn't seems to get smaller. Now I need to to go with seat replacement. 

Could I be able to use the Hydroseal Tap Replacement Kit without any prior experience? I hope it should be DIY friendly. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Given that you successfully ground the seat, I think you can manage the replacement kit @VivekM. However, please be advised that it might not resolve a cracked seat as water tends to find ways around objects. It would likely be worth trying them, or it could be worth biting the bullet and having a plumber come out and replace the damaged unit.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VivekM
Getting Established

Thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects