Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaking toilet?

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

How to fix a leaking toilet?

We have a toilet that seems to be of the ‘watermark’ brand. Every time after we flush it, it continues to drip into the toilet bowl. I’ve turned off the water at the cistern tap to see if it still does it but it stops dripping into the bowl when I turn it off.

What do I need to do to fix this and what parts are suitable?

IMG_5745.jpeg

IMG_5746.jpeg

IMG_5744.jpeg

IMG_5743.jpeg

   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a leaking toilet?

Hello @SarahK1996 

Thanks for sharing your question about your leaking toilet. Since you've narrowed down the symptoms, odds are the inlet valve is leaking. If the flushing valve was defective, you would still get a leak but since turning the tap off the leak has stopped.  

If you are familiar with how to repair your filling valve, it would be just a matter of replacing the inlet valves washer. However, if you're not confident with repairing it, I suggest engaging the services of a handy person or a plumber.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  How to fix a leaking toilet

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric!

So what kind of washer do you think I need? Would you be able to recommend for me? I think I will be able to do it for sure!

So I don’t necessarily have to replace the whole inlet valve, just the washer?

Also it seems when we give the top of the cistern a little nudge on the side when it leaks, it tends to stop! 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SarahK1996,

The best way to work out which seal you will need is to remove the existing one, bring it to your local Bunnings and try to match them up. I'm sure the helpful staff in your local store will be happy to help.

To access the valve washer the black cap on the inlet valve needs to be removed. Sometimes they just pry off, or they can require a quarter turn to release and to do so the link on the white arm might need to be undone. I note your cap has a suspicious red section, which might need to be disengaged to allow the cap to turn.

The kind of washer can vary from toilet to toilet, but it will be very similar to this one Fluidmaster Toilet Inlet Valve Replacement Seal.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Jacob

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

image.jpg

great success! Thankyou so much legends! Got the seal and pretty sure it has stopped leaking for now! Hopefully I don’t hear it leak again… if I do, I’ll be back 😂 Thanks so much again for such easy, clear explanation! You saved me lots of money for a plumber and made this 28 year old female feel pretty empowered! Thanks guys! 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SarahK1996,

That's fantastic, I'm so glad to hear you were able to work it out and get the job done. I always feel a great sense of pride and accomplishment when I can learn a new skill that will benefit me for the rest of my life, and I hope that you do too.

If there's ever anything you need a hand with, keep the Bunnings Workshop community in mind.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects