Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a squeaking tap?

Hilaryjane
Just Starting Out

How to fix a squeaking tap?

Hi, we had the mondella maestro basin sink set installed a couple of years ago by a plumber.  As we had a toddler at the time we took off the handle of the hot tap so she couldn't turn it on  accidentally.  Now we've put it back on but its very stiff and squeaky.    I have tried spraying wd40 on the top of the spindle but that hasn't done anything.  How do I fix it? Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a squeaking tap?

Hello @Hilaryjane 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your squeaking tap.

It's highly likely that the grease and o rings of the tap have dried out during the period that it was not being used. I suggest getting a FIX-A-TAP Nylon Tap Valve Repair Kit and repairing the spindle.

The general steps are to turn off the mains water in front of your house. The tap handle then needs to be removed followed by the cover flange. Using a spanner, you can then begin to turn the spindle in an anti-clockwise direction. Once the spindle is removed unscrew the main body of the spindle so that you can see the o rings on the main shaft.

Remove the old o rings and replace them with new ones. Make sure to use the entire packet of grease provided on the spindle and o rings. Simply follow the steps in reverse to reassemble the tap.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, thanks for your suggestions.  The tap that I have is a ceramic disc and I don't think they have o rings.  I'm not sure if I can get the spindle out at all actually.  It seems to be part of a unit called the basin body. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/mondella-maestro-wels-4-star-7-5l-min-chrome-lever-handle-basin-set_p500...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Hilaryjane 

Thanks for that adding that bit of information about your tap. If that's the case, there's no need for the o ring kit. The removal process will still be the same, but it will be just a straight replacement of the spindle. Ceramic spindles are sealed units and can't be repaired from the inside. 

I suggest removing your existing hot spindle and bringing it to the store so that you can compare it to the Shaw & Mason 1/2 Turn Anti Clockwise Chrome Plate Ceramic Disc Wall Spindle. If it is the same height and width, it should be an ideal replacement for your old spindle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects