Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix chips on bathroom benchtop?

mike1982
Just Starting Out

How to fix chips on bathroom benchtop?

29246845-9B60-4866-AED4-1FCD9401F7B2.jpeg

6DE32765-D1B1-47FF-AF53-7CEBE865A0A2.jpeg

I’ve noticed an increasing number of chips or peeling (laminate?) on my bathroom bench top. Any ideas on a DIY fix?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix chips on bathroom benchtop?

Hello @mike1982 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your bathroom benchtop.

Have you noticed if there are other cracks appearing anywhere else on the laminate surface? It's not that the damage can't be repaired but there is the possibility that the laminate surface material has totally deteriorated. If that is the case, I recommend thinking about changing the benchtop if possible. 

The general steps to repairing the chips are cleaning, filling and painting. It's important that the chipped area is free of wax, oil and debris, I recommend using Diggers 125ml Isopropyl Cleaning Alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the chipped spot. Once the spot is totally dry, I suggest using PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste to fill in the damage. 

The technique is to fill in only what you need and only to the necessary height required. Let the epoxy cure and then you can sand it down to the current height of the benchtop surface. 

The last step is to paint the surface of the laminate top. I suggest having a look at the Dulux Renovation Range Tile and Benchtop to repaint the surface of your benchtop. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when working on your benchtop.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects