Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix constantly running Caroma Slimline toilet?

Shane
Having an Impact

How to fix constantly running Caroma Slimline toilet?

I assume a seal has deteriorated od something on this Caroma Slimline toilet.

What can we get to at Bunnings to fix it? 

IMG_1607.jpeg

IMG_1608.jpeg

We just moved into this place so I would also be happy to replace the toilet if need be. Suggestions welcome on replacement models.

IMG_1609.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix constantly running Caroma Slimline toilet?

Hi @Shane,

You might like to read through this helpful step-by-step guide: How to fix a leaking toilet. It will show you how to identify the issue and what needs replacing.

Once you've gone through the article, please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you. 

The toilet is constantly running but stops when I turn the cistern tap off, so presumably I need to replace the inlet valve seal. Not really sure how to do that as it looks totally different to the photos in that guide. Any clues?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

When you turn the cistern tap off, is the water still running into the pan, @Shane? If not, it sounds like the inlet valve seal is the culprit. To access the inlet valve, you'd undo the white nut I've marked in your image below.

Take the valve washer to your closest Bunnings store, and a helpful team member can help you find a replacement. If a replacement is hard to come by, I recommend replacing the whole inlet valve for one of these Fluidmaster Bottom Entry Toilet Inlet Valves.

Mitchell

Great, thank you. No water runs into the bowl when the cistern tap is turned off so I will order one of those Fluidmaster kits.

Shane
Having an Impact

Scratch that. The cistern does eventually empty with the tap off if you haven't flushed the toilet so there must be multiple leaks. 

I think we should just replace the whole thing and get a new toilet. How do we ensure that what we buy at Bunnings will fit the existing plumbing?

Shane
Having an Impact

We would need a model with a bottom inlet and accomodate an S trap that is 120mm from the skirting board. 

"Set out" to the middle of the S trap is 200mm and we have another 20mm if we remove the skirting board. 

Would this one work?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/caroma-luna-wels-4-star-4-5-l-full-cleanflush-toilet-suite_p0088812

IMG_1630.jpgIMG_1629.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Shane 

Thanks for sharing your question about your Caroma slimline toilet. My apologies for the late reply. The Caroma Luna WELS 4 Star 4.5 L/full Cleanflush Toilet Suite is within the limits of the set out. But if you remove the skirting board it won't work.

One important item you'll need to take into consideration is the cistern tap outlet. It has to be outside the boundary of the skirt of the pan, otherwise it will get trapped inside the pan and you'll not be able to access it. You also have the option of relocating the tap inside the cistern as a back entry system. I suggest speaking to your plumber and showing them them the toilet, you want to put in.

Just in case you were curious about the parts you need to repair your toilet. They are the Assorted Ballcock Washers to suit Caroma Cisterns for the cistern inlet and the Kinetic Seating Washers for the flushing valve.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Shane
Having an Impact

Thank you. 

I think these kind of toilets are designed to be against a wall - that it might look strange if it was only against the skirting board, and be hard to clean.

Could you please suggest another suite that would be more suitable for this space? 

We are happy to replace rather than repair as it's a currently a plastic toilet and is a little stained.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shane,

Have you considered just replacing the cistern and keeping the pan? 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects