Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix crack in bath?

rkini
Finding My Feet

How to fix crack in bath?

Hi

There is a crack on the floor of the bath. It feels like the reason for this is unstable base as when you tap it, feels hollow. What is the best way to repair this? The floor feels like a plastic material so I'm guessing it's acrylic or fibreglass material. 

16745877533731242734743948782259.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix crack in bath?

Hi @rkini,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and have asked a great question about repairing the crack in your tub. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist with the best solution but let me also check with Workshop members @CSParnell and @TedBear to see if they have any advice. In the meantime, a great place to start is checking out this article How do you fix a crack in the bath?

Please keep us updated on how you go with your repairs, we are always here to help. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rkini

If you are after a temporary patch, I suggest using the PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste. It's waterproof, non-toxic and bonds and dries rapidly. However, please keep in mind that a crack like that in an acrylic bath will eventually get bigger if weight is continually applied to it. A patch repair will allow you to use the bath for a certain amount of time. At some point, the patch repair will no longer be effective. I suggest considering replacing the bath.

Please make sure to prepare the surface of the patch area by lightly sanding the surface of the crack to get good adhesion on the surface. Please make sure to wear safety equipment such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when doing the repairs.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

rkini
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric. Can I use PC Marine instead of PC11? This is basically to get a white color. 

Hi @rkini 

You bath already  cracked and will fail more.

Why not  think about drilling a 12mm hole in your bath at the crack and mixing a wet sand and cement slurry and  a funnel and pouring the slurry through re bedding the bath in this location?   Slurry just wet enough to pour through funnel until no more  will pour. This will help make a cement bed under the pressure point,  Or can you lift the bath and do this?

Also drill 4 mm holes at the outer most tip of those cracks  as its how they fix aircraft cracks in non critical spots as the crack runs into the drill hole and  stops it in its tracks as the round hole flexes evenly and presents no new exit points for stresses to find and takes  much greater effort to spilt further.

What about adding builders  joint tape as it is designed to strengthen patches and is thin so the epoxy can imbed between the fibres.  

Builders Edge 50mm x 20m Fibreglass Builders Joint Tape  I/N: 0730318   $8.18

https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-50mm-x-20m-fibreglass-builders-joint-tape_p0730318

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rkini

For an even stronger patch, you can use PC Marine. Just make sure to use disposable gloves when handling the product.

Eric 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects