Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix hairline cracks in the vanity basin?

Nicktrent
Finding My Feet

How to fix hairline cracks in the vanity basin?

Hello DIY's

My vanity porcelain/ceramic sink started to develop these unsightly cracks/marks. It feels smooth but can't seem to understand how these came about. Wanted to know if this can be fixed as the rest of the sink works perfect

Would love some help on how to repair rather than replace, thanks

Area has been cleaning with Ajax spray and waterArea has been cleaning with Ajax spray and water20230301_115623.jpgFeels smooth to the finger touch, but could be small crevices where toothpaste has blackened. Not really sure unfortunatelyFeels smooth to the finger touch, but could be small crevices where toothpaste has blackened. Not really sure unfortunately

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix hairline cracks in the vanity basin?

Hi @Nicktrent 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fixing the hairline cracks in your vanity basin,

The cracks you're looking at is a phenomenon called crazing and is often caused by thermal stress. This is when the ceramic material is exposed repeatedly to hot and cold temperatures. Unfortunately, this happens under the glaze of the basin and that's why it still feels smooth to the touch. 

Because it's under the glaze there is no way to repair it, however, you can cover and recoat the basin with White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. It dries to a tough, tile-like finish to restore previously discoloured surfaces.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a bath. (the technique used is applicable to your basin)

My best advice before you start painting is to make sure that basin surface is very well prepared. 

Please make sure to have your doors and windows open to provide good air circulation. In the interest of safety make sure you are wearing personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask while you are using the product. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Massive thanks EricL for coming to the rescue

I plan on giving this a go and sharing the results to benefit anyone else out there in the community

Have a great day !!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nicktrent 

Please keep us in the loop. We look forward to seeing your revamped vanity basin.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects