Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaking in laundry cabinet?

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

How to fix leaking in laundry cabinet?

Hi all,

The photo shows what's happening, any ideas on what to do to fix this leak as it's beginning to damage the cabinet.

image000000.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Leaking in laundry cabinet

HI @tigerzen 

Those  plumbing fitttings are designed to be mainly hand tigtened see the raised lugs on the sides. 

So try tighen those  fittings  a little more i would tighten the top  connector and side y connector to as a shot gun approarch, try and  nail the problem in one go.

Turn them 1 turn if they feel loose.  1/2 turn if they feel easy to move. 1,3 turn if they feel firm . 1/5 turn if feel tight.   If they feel super tight and un movable open the connection up and check the washer seal is not damaged  it maybe crushed.

If your hand needs a little help titghten the connevtions  with a pair of adjusteble multigrips  , plumber wrench, or a chain wrench be mindfull these fittings  can be over tightened to a  point of being damaged.

You  can  also us Toilet paper sheets folded  dab it from the top connection or above down wards after letting the sink run for a bit to stimulate the water leak.  When the TP is wet you are zeroing in on the leak to guide you to further actions .

Use PVA wood glue on the laminate strip peeling of using temporay tape to hold in in place wiping any glue mess with a white  rag. 

Hope this helps,

Thanks Jewelleryrescue for that detailed reply. I have passed your suggestions onto my sister whose bathroom the post refers to. She has told me that the fittings are on very tight which leads me to believe that maybe they are damaged, I am planning to go out there to see what I can do.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tigerzen 

Thanks for sharing your question about your leaking laundry drainpipe. 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Looking at the photo you posted it appears that the black O ring has twisted out and might be the cause of the leak. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend loosening the fitting and setting the O ring level.

Once the O ring is in the correct position slowly turn the fitting to make it tight. It's important the O ring does not peek out. The connection should come together squarely and firmly. Make sure to observe to make sure that the leak is fixed.

However, if after several attempts and the leak does not want to stop, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber to fix the plumbing connection.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric for your input, yes I had noticed that the o-ring looks distorted. What is this pipe called, is it called a trap? If we cannot get it to sit properly can you buy a new part to replace it or must the whole pipe be replaced? If we have to get a plumber what do you think the extent of the repair might be?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tigerzen 

If you look closely, you'll see the part that is attached is grey in colour not white. That part is a PVC extension piece and is usually used to bridge the gap between the "trap" and the tee piece. 

The plumber could use plumber's tape to do a quick repair or remove the PVC piece and extend the waste pipe at the bottom. I suppose it all depends on what they will decide to do. 

There are other parts you can use, but it will require a plumber to complete this type of work.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric, if the PVC extension piece is damaged in any way is that part available at Bunnings ie is it readily available?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tigerzen,

I suspect that extension piece is a Holman 50mm PVC DWV Female Iron Connector or Holman 40mm Female PVC DWV Threaded Iron Adaptor. There is no rubber Oring used in this style connector. The lower end is glued onto your pipework and the threaded top using thread tape to seal. It appears that someone has tried using an Oring to seal this fitting, which is likely the cause of the leak. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell, looking at the linked photos you could well be right, assuming it is a connector/adaptor issue what would be the fix here? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you can see water leaking out from the threaded portion of that adaptor where the rubber seal is @tigerzen, then a plumber would be undo the connection, remove the rubber seal, apply thread tape and then do the connection back up again.

I doubt the adaptor itself has a crack or issue, but if it does, they'd need to install a new fitting by cutting the pipe underneath.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects