Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaking tap?

stuartheth
Growing in Experience

How to fix leaking tap?

3B074A2D-D6C3-4C15-AB86-F5D1DA6D36F9.jpeg

Is there supposed to be water here?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix leaking tap?

Hi @stuartheth,

Your spindle should not be leaking there. The O ring on the spindle shank has likely perished, which will allow water to creep up through the spindle threads. You'll find the replacement O ring in this tap repair kit. If you're pulling apart the tap, it's worth refreshing all the washers as well. 

To replace the O ring, once you've removed the spindle from the wall, you'll need to turn the spindle shank clockwise (like you're turning the tap off) whilst holding the base of the spindle. This will screw the spindle shank out of the housing. You'll find the O ring on the spindle shank sitting in a little groove. Remember to turn your mains water off before removing the spindle.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @stuartheth,

Back in the day, we used to call this a "packing gland" washer/seal.

There are a number of rubber o-rings in there ( 2 I think) and a seating washer.

Before you take this to pieces, make sure you turn off the water supply.

I would on the face of this, disassemble it and see what condition the packing gland seal looks like, it will be on that spindle that you use to operate the valve.

Take the valve part to Bunnings and they might have a seal kit for your valve, failing that, take it to a reputable plumbing supply place.

One bit of advice to ANYONE that has to deal with rubber O-rings or seals, Always treat them with Rocol Silicone grease, give them a nice overall coating, before you install them, they will last so much longer if you do this.

This in itself, lubricates the O-ring and prevents them from perishing, especially of there is hot water flowing through the valve.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Cheers,

Mike T.

stuartheth
Growing in Experience

Solved - thanks guys. Your advice was spot on.  I went to Reece as most of the gear at Bunnings is pretty low quality. I used some lubricant after replacing the orings - the taps are like new! 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @stuartheth,

Nice work.

Thanks for letting us know it's all done!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects