Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaking toilet cistern?

cougar_df
Getting Established

How to fix leaking toilet cistern?

Hi, my ensuite toilet leaks out onto the floor when it is flushed and it looks like the leak is coming from the base of the cistern. After the cistern fills up, the leak stops. I've checked the water inlet valve at the wall and that looks fine.
The toilet is the older style model which came standard when the house was built 18 years ago. I can't see the brand Toilet1.jpgToilet2.jpgbut from memory I think it's a Caroma.
I'm not a handyman by any stretch but don't want to pay for a plumber if the fix is relatively simple. Any advice will be appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water Leaking from Toilet Cistern

Hello @cougar_df

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your leaking toilet.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of where exactly the leak is occurring? Is it between the cistern and the pan? Is it leaking inside the pan? If it is at the base where exactly at the base? Is it coming from the flush pipe? Any other information you can share about the occurring leak would be very much appreciated. The extra information you provide will allow our members to better diagnose the problem.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix leaking toilet cistern?

Hi @cougar_df,

Were you able to share a few more photos so members can see what you are working with? I will also tag @MitchellMc to see if he has any further thoughts. 

Thanks,

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cougar_df,

If the leak onto the floor only occurs when the toilet is flushed, that indicates to me that the leak is below the cistern. If the leak were coming from the bottom seal of the outlet valve, then it would leak onto the floor continuously whenever there is water in the cistern. This narrows it down to only two possibilities, and they are where the flush pipe is attached to the bottom of the outlet valve or the toilet pan. The flush pipe is the section of pipework that connects the cistern to the pan. If the leak appears to come from the base of the cistern, then I suspect that the flush pipe ring has perished, and you can purchase this Kinetic 50mm Flush Pipe Ring to replace it. You'll need to unscrew the large nut at the top of the flush pipe and remove the pipe from the bottom of the outlet valve to access the ring.

The other end of the flush pipe seals to the pan with a flush cone. These can be replaced too, but they are lower down than the cistern, so it sounds like the leak is not coming from there. If you want to cover all bases, then you can purchase and install one of these Kinetic 50mm Low Level Flushpipe Kits.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Jason and Mitchell,

Thank you both so much for reaching out and offering to help. I must say my first experience with the Bunnings workshop community has been a very pleasant and impressive one!

My apologies for being slow to respond and for not providing more photos of the fault as requested. At about the time of the water leak at the bottom of the toilet cistern, my wife also noticed water leaking from a copper pipe in the garage. This leak looks pretty bad as well and there is running water collecting near the garage door and flowing down the driveway. This pipe is located parallel to another identical (purple) pipe which makes me think it must be for the recycled water supply.

The leak in the garage has convinced me that I'll need professional help and get a plumber in and since a plumber is needed, we might as well get the toilet fixed at the same time.

Does Bunnings have a plumber service I can utilise, or someone they can recommend in the Hills (Sydney) area? Obviously I'll be happy to pay for the service. Just that I don't know of a plumber who would do a good job and charge a reasonable and fair fee.

Thanks again for being so helpful.

Hi @cougar_df,

Seeking professional assistance sounds like a good option in your situation. We don't currently offer an in-home plumbing service, so you might like to look towards services like Hi-pages or Airtasker to help locate a qualified plumber.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc,

I too have a leaking Cistern when flushed. I have isolated it to the Cistern not the bowl, and it is a slow drip from where the 50mm low level flushpipe kit connects. I have the new kit but am unsure which order to put these seals. 

I have the black seal in the bowl fine, it's the silicon and hard plastic ring I am unsure about. Do I place the locking cap on first then the silicon ring inside it then the hard plastic ring so the flat bit is facing up (so you get a flat bit touching the in coming thread.

If anyone has a manual, I'd appreciate it.

D.png

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chickenman. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a flush pipe.

You're on the right track. I'd start by placing the black seal on the pipe, as I think you'll find it hard to push the pipe into it if it's already in the pan.

You appear to have the rest of it correct. Threaded nut get's put onto the pipe, then the tapered rubber (silicone) seal, and then the hard plastic ring goes on the top. Put the rubber seal mid-way on the pipe and the hard ring about 30mm down from the top. Put the pipe up into the threaded section on the cistern. Once the pipe is inserted around 30mm into the threaded section, push the hard ring up to meet the bottom of it. Then push the rubber tapered seal up to it. Finally, push the threaded nut up and screw it onto the threaded section of the cistern outlet.

If memory serves me correctly, the hard plastic ring might have a tapered inside side and a flat side. If so, the tapered side faces downwards to match up with the tapered seal. I've created a rendering below to illustrate.

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects