Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix linen cupboard doors? Shelves not flush to the cavity opening

laitkenhead
Just Starting Out

How to fix linen cupboard doors? Shelves not flush to the cavity opening

Hi All,

We've been slowly renovating our house over the past two years and one of the tasks I've been putting off is our linen cupboard doors. This is our first renovation and have learnt A LOT - generally after we've done something that bites us later. 

We built these shelves a few years ago and now that I've gone to add doors, I'm realising that we should have set them in line with the wall. Do I need to build another frame around the shelves for the doors to hinge from? Hoping that makes sense with the photos! Open to any other suggestions around the doors. I'm looking to build them using MDF.

Please ignore the dumping ground that is our linen cupboard currently! 

PXL_20240408_024502016.jpgPXL_20240408_024507927.jpg

PXL_20240408_024531398.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix linen cupboard doors? Shelves not flush to the cavity opening

Hi @laitkenhead,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us.

You shouldn't need to build a new frame to install the cabinet doors. You could install a strip of MDF either side of the opening that is screwed into the framing behind the gyprock. You could then mount the doors to this strip. If you set the MDF strip back from the front of the opening at the width of the doors, you can use Hafele 105° Soft Close Full Overlay Clip On Hinges to get a nice flush finish with the wall.

Cabinet hinges are tricky to identify just by looking at so I'm not 100% certain that the ones you've got would work in this application. Do you still have the packaging that it came in? If I could see this, I can let you know if these hinges will work.

Jacob 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects