Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix popping sound when washing machine is draining?

Lablover
Just Starting Out

How to fix popping sound when washing machine is draining?

I have a brand new washing machine in a new house and the washing  machine waste water is connected  to to the sink hose . But when the water is draining  the sink makes a popping sound. Do I need too drill out one of the nipples  too stop this sound or will water come out of it once I drill it out. ?

I will post a photo.

Thanks for your helpin advance.

20230619_094541.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix popping sound when washing machine is draining?

Hello @Lablover 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your new washing machine. 

The popping sound you are hearing is the solenoid valve in your washing machine when it electronically shuts off the flow of water. Unfortunately, there is no way to reduce this sound as it comes from within the machine itself. Some washing machine manufacturers have softer operating solenoids or insulate them so that they don't make that loud popping sound when loading or unloading water in the machine.

Since your exit hose is already attached at the top of sink, I don't recommend drilling any holes in the nipples as this will cause flooding under your sink. You only drill the nipples when you are attaching the washing machines exit hose to it.

If you are curious about your washing machines solenoid function carefully observe its water loading and unloading function. The popping sound becomes very prominent. My own washing machine makes the same popping noise and I just close my laundry door to reduce the noise. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lablover
Just Starting Out

Hey Eric the popping  sound is actually  in the drain. You can hear the water running then it starts popping  inside the  drain . That is why I was wondering  if it had one of the barbs open  it would let air out ?

The machine itcself is quiet.

Thankyou  Lablover 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Lablover 

If you believe that the popping noise is coming from the drain, I suggest trying a quick experiment the next time you use your washing machine. Remove the waste hose and let it drain on top of the the sink. If the popping noise disappears then there is a possibility that the waste pipe you've connected to is not sufficient enough for the washing machines wastewater and is creating a backflow problem.

Please trust me that drilling a hole in one of the barbs will not solve the issue as water will overflow in that direction creating more issues. Once you've determined that the source is the outlet pipe, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber to replace the flexi hose you currently have attached with a solid PVC pipe. This will provide unobstructed flow for the wastewater.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to hearing your washing machine operating quietly.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects