Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix this caulking

petekat
Just Starting Out

How to fix this caulking

So I got a tradie in to install a new shower screen and re-caulk, but it looks pretty messy and like there are gaps

Should I get him back to try to fix it, or try DIY?Messy corner and maybe gapMessy corner and maybe gapReplace grout or swipe on some caulk?Replace grout or swipe on some caulk?

And in addition to the messiness, should the caulking cover the lower edge of the tile? It kind of looks like there might be a gap

Lastly there's a small section of degraded grouting (pic 2): can I just run a little bit of extra caulk up there or does the grouting need to be replaced?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix this caulking

HI @petekat

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to fix the caulking in your shower area. 

Those two options you mentioned are both applicable to your current situation. I would probably try the first one and that is to call the tradesperson back. If you are not satisfied with the way it was done you should call them back for them to re-do it to your satisfaction.

However, if you are keen to give it a go yourself, keep in mind that you will have to remove all the caulking in the areas of contention. Putting on another brand of caulking over existing caulking is not advised as they will not be compatible.

Here are some handy guides to help you with your project:

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bathroom fully sealed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects