Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of stubborn bathroom scum?

izzysedg
Finding My Feet

How to get rid of stubborn bathroom scum?

IMG_2742.jpeg

IMG_2741.jpeg

  

Have tried to get rid of this scum with Bathroom CLR and tried a DIY acidic lemon mixture but it just ruined the stainless steel framing on my shower. 
Any ideas on how to not only repair the frame but also get rid of the scum?

Thanks

IMG_2740.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Get Rid of Stubborn Bathroom Scum

Hello @izzysedg 

Thanks for sharing your question about removing the scum on your shower frame. We'll go through your photos one by one. The first photo shows your shower pivot cover. It's at the very bottom of your glass door, this item is actually made of plastic that has been covered in chrome. 

You can clean it with soapy water and a green scrub pad but bear in mind that it will scrub the chrome finish on it as well. Your second photo shows the lower right corner of your shower frame. It appears that a strong chemical was used and has stripped the chrome finish off the corner.

I suggest using a Craftright 5-in-1 Scraper to gently remove the buildup on the aluminium. Please note that the aluminium frame might have deteriorated so please be aware and not to use too much force in the cleaning. To finish off the surface, I propose using steel wool with soapy water to scrub the frame clean.

The third and final photo is the one with a bit of damage. You can see that there is a tiny hole in the aluminium. You can still use the scraper, but very careful when you get near the damaged area. You can scrub the surface with the steel wool as well to remove the scum build-up.

Please be aware that the steel wool will leave scratches on the aluminium surface. My best advice is to scrub only the scum covered sections.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Eric,

Thanks for your advice but unfortunately this treatment has not worked. The stains are pretty tough!

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @izzysedg 

I'm sorry to hear that the steel wool was not effective. The next level up would be to use sandpaper 240grit. Please be aware that too much application of sandpaper on the thin parts of the aluminium will wear it down and create holes. I will leave this cleaning option up to you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects