Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of white stain on shower tiles?

eugz92
Getting Established

How to get rid of white stain on shower tiles?

I have a white stain on the shower tiles . What can it be. Looks like efflorescence. Strange to only be in one section. Any ideas on what it is and how to get rid of it

IMG_0390.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get rid of white stain on tiles?

Hi @eugz92,

They could be efflorescence or, more likely, hard water stains. Efflorescence would typically migrate through the grout instead of the tile's central area. The fact that this issue is localised to a certain area is a bit perplexing. Does water pool on top of these tiles? Stains from hard water generally occur when water evaporates and leaves behind trace minerals such as calcium and magnesium. If this shower section is not sloped correctly and draining, that could be the cause.

You might like to try mixing up equal parts cleaning vinegar and water. Spray this mixture onto the affected tiles, wait 30 minutes and then flush the mixture off with fresh water. You can then use Glitz 1kg Green Bi-Carb Cleaner in paste form and a bristled brush to scrub the tiles. Hard water stains can be quite stubborn, so you might need to repeat this process several times.

Remember to wear PPE, including safety glasses, a face mask and gloves and ventilate the room well whilst working.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
eugz92
Getting Established

Re: How to get rid of white stain on tiles?

Thankyou for your answer I’ll see how it goes 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects