Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to go about replacing damaged kickboard

Nerissa
Growing in Experience

How to go about replacing damaged kickboard

20210201_112413.jpgI totally have no idea how to go about replacing or fixing this damaged laundry cabinet kickboard (I think that's what it's called). I have not done any work of this nature. If I remove them (with the intention of replacing), will there be any structure supporting the cabinet so it won't collapse on me? I can't see any nail or screw holding the kickboard either. Are they glued?

Is there another way to fix this?

Totally ignorant newbie needs help

NB: Called local cabinetry place but doesn't appear to be interested in small job

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to go about replacing damaged kickboard

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @Nerissa.

I'm sure @MitchellMc will have some options for you. Other community members might also like to share their advice - we have loads of wonderful members sharing useful information every day. It might be useful to have some measurements, if it's not too tricky to share those details?

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Nerissa 

You could use a small wrecking bar to slowly pry out one of the kickboards. Just right in between where they join up. This will allow you to have a better idea of what is holding your cabinet up. I suspect either plastic legs or a timber frame. Either way you can buy some melamine sheeting and have it cut to size in the store and simply screw or glue it back in to place. If you wish to match color you might have to use pine or ply and paint to match. Key word is to do it slowly as we don't want your cabinet to topple should nothing be holding it up. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers 

Red 

Screenshot_2021-02-03-06-32-56-64.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Nerissa
Growing in Experience

Thank you kindly! Very much appreciated. 

Nerissa
Growing in Experience

Thank you @JaneK . 

Front  -  L 108.5cm, W14.5cm

Side   -  L 51.5 cm

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nerissa,

Have you had any success with removing those panels? I see @redracer01 has provided some expert advice. It appears that the front panel would be the first one to remove, the side panels should hold the unit up whilst you do so. As mentioned, take your time, and a second set of hands wouldn't go astray.

Please let us know if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nerissa
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thank you for following up. Very grateful for the advice that I received from everyone.  Thank you @redracer01 

I was away for a short break. I'm now back and ready to tackle the job.

Will give an update on how I'm going in the next few days. 

Cheers

Nerissa

Nerissa
Growing in Experience

Thank you again @redracer01 .  

My kickboard project is a success. Really appreciate the guidance.

20210212_153654.jpg

Cheers

Nerissa

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That is amazing, @Nerissa! You must be very proud of your project, as it looks like a brand new unit now.

Many thanks for sharing your results, and we look forward to your next project. Please let us know anytime you need assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @Nerissa 

Let me give you my celebratory shout for any successful DIY. Huzzah!!!

May you have many more DIY projects in the future!

Cheers!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects