Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve old skylight?

BF
Getting Established

How to improve old skylight?

Renovating an older Laundry. Have had wall asbestos removed. Ceiling is asbestos, budget doesn't allow at thos stage to touch it. 

Bubble skylight still doing the job, just looks unappealing. 

Can I use a material (not a fabric or blind) to sit inside the lower lip, like a ma hole, to diffuse the light and make it look fresh and not see the cavity and skylight?? Thank you for any help

20240224_095710.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to improve old skylight?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @BF. We're delighted to have you join us.

Thanks for your question - your laundry project sounds exciting. Let me tag our knowledgeable and ever helpful members @Jewelleryrescue@JacobZ95 and @Itai for suggestions on how to improve your skylight.

Please do keep us updated as your project progresses and share the final result. We'd love to see Before and After photos of how you transformed your entire laundry.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BF 

Thanks for sharing your question about improving your old skylight. I propose having a look at the following:

These sheets are lightweight can can be cut down to size so that they sit on the interior lip of the tunnel thereby saving you having to install a frame or holder.

Let me call on our experienced members @JacobZ95 @Dave-1 and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

BF
Getting Established

Thank you So much Eric.

I was on the right track then. This is exactly what I'm looking for. However went to bunnings.. and my measurements needed are 72 × 73 to fit in the already existing wooden lip.

So I got a roll and cut it and covered with opaqu window contact ( does not look great, challenge to get the contact smooth.

So I need as suggested in a larger size.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BF,

You'd likely need to cut the sheeting @EricL suggested to suit your size. I don't believe you'll find an opaque rigid sheet in your exact measurements.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @BF 

Your skylight is exactly like mine but in better condition! lol I have that coreflute as the walls and then a sheet of clear perspec plus contact over it I think. I didnt want to peel the edge as wasnt sure if it meant to be on it or not last week when I was cleaning it.

Id go with @EricL's and @MitchellMc's suggestion for sure. You just need an edge for it to rest on. The piece kinda fits like your roofspace access patch (For the life of me I cant think of the name of it roght now) So you push up and tilt to lift it up and fit it.

Dave

BF
Getting Established

Yes. I found a polycarbonate sheets big enough yet it was clear. Cut it to size and covered with bunnings opaque glass contact. Fits well amd looks good yet a couple of bubbles I'm not quite happy with so have found a business that will cut to size am already opaque polycarbonate. Makes a big difference to the aestetic and not seeing the old tunnel. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BF 

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that you found a solution for your skylight. Would it be possible for you please post a photo of the skylight, I'm sure our members are very keen to see what it looks like.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects