Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install an external laundry tub and washing machine to a garden tap?

vichop
Finding My Feet

How to install an external laundry tub and washing machine to a garden tap?

416E4D4A-D1E2-4DDF-8808-43E9220F362F.jpeg

 we have a studio at the back of our house which my grand daughter lives in. I want to put a small laundry tub and a front loader washing machine to go against this wall however I only have a tap on the wall how would I connect both to it? Would I put the laundry tub first against the wall to the left or machine first. I then have to attach to a pipe for the water to run from them both. Any ideas so I can purchase the appropriate items. Thanks Victoria

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install an external laundry tub and washing machine to a garden tap?

Hello @vichop (Victoria)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your laundry.

It's great that you want to install a laundry spot for your granddaughter. But I'm afraid it is much more involved than just attaching the garden hose to your appliances. The Australian Plumbing Code is very specific that only a licensed plumber is authorised to complete any work involving plumbing or drainage. To install a tap, and a washing machine you'd need to connect it to the plumbing network, which will require a plumber.

Temporary installations are full of hazards such as hose failures, fitting failures and accidental flood damage. I suggest having it professionally done by a registered plumber. In this manner, you'll know that it has been installed to code and the fittings used will last. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Well it is a tap which was plumbed in by a plumber so maybe I put in wrong in my question. I just want to connect the washing machine to it so what connection is required? Can I go into Bunnings and ask what connections I need.?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vichop 

A standard garden tap usually has a 20mm male threaded outer lip. A washing machine often has a 20mm female attachment at the end of the hose. I suggest testing the fittings first before twisting the fittings tight. You shouldn't need any special fittings to attach the washing machine hose to the garden tap. 

However, if you still need to attach your garden hose to the garden tap at the same time, I recommend putting on a Pope 2 Way Brass Threaded Tap.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric

i went out to the shed and found one of those in the plumbing bits and bobs box so it should be straight forward from here.

I appreciate your assistance. It was pretty well the last thing to do as I remodelled the studio with laminate bench tops and live edge shelving and painted the kitchen cupboard with renovation paint supplies. Came up beautifully.

D7CD87A9-F851-4B94-B6D0-26FBC2EBC85A.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vichop 

I'm glad you got the plumbing sorted out. Your kitchen looks fantastic, the colour is really nice and goes very well with the timber accent pieces. It looks very stylish and functional.

Thank you very much for sharing your revamped kitchen.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects