Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install dishwasher in laundry

bobfossil
Finding My Feet

How to install dishwasher in laundry

PXL_20220222_233150389.jpg

We have a tiny kitchen and the laundry is right next door so are thinking of installing a dishwasher there. We have a single tap + power point so would that be fine to use for both washing machine and the dishwasher? I presume it would be possible to split the water for both but would appreciate advice on what attachment(s) I'd need to do so. There are two drainage holes in the laundry sink so probably wouldn't need to combine drain hoses with the washing machine/dishwasher.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install dishwasher in laundry

Hello @bobfossil

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your dishwasher.

In this particular scenario, I suggest moving the washing machine to the right and placing the dishwasher in the middle. The reason for this is that there is a greater chance of food particles getting stuck in an extended hose versus a washing machine that only deals with lint and water.

In order to split the mounting point on the washing machine tap, I suggest using Nylex Brass Two Way Manifold, this unit is sized at 20mm and will fit both the washing machine and dishwasher. To extend the inlet hose, I recommend using Boston 2m Double Ended Washing Machine And Dishwasher Inlet Hose in conjunction with Brasshards 20mm Brass Threaded Hexagon Nipple and Kinetic Heavy Duty Thread Seal Tape. You'll only need to extend the inlet hose of the washing machine. The dishwashing hose will be long enough to reach the washing machine tap.

To extend the outlet hose of the washing machine, I propose using Pope 25 x 19mm Barbed Reducing Joiner along with Kinetic 2m Grey PVC Washing Machine And Dishwasher Outlet Drain Hose. Carefully look at the ends of the outlet hose so that you will not accidentally install the barbed joiner in reverse. Use Kinetic 17-32mm 304 Stainless Steel Hose Clamp to clamp both ends of the barb. Failure to clamp the hoses will cause them to leak.

One last item to attach to the dishwasher outlet hose outlet is the Kinetic PVC Washing Machine Hose Outlet U Bracket. This will prevent the hose from slipping out of the laundry tub. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your washing machine and dishwasher installed perfectly.

If you have any other questions regarding the installation of the parts, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks very much for your detailed response. In the end both could be installed side by side without extending the inlet or outlet hoses so that was convenient. The 2 way manifold is working well. The next step will be a bit more involved, it would be nice to place a bench over the units and install some cabinets above. We'd also want to replace the existing sink/cabinet and make sure the dishwasher + laundry inlet/outlets/electric cables are hidden away. Does that all sound reasonable? We'd have to get some help from a plumber/electrician, does Bunnings provide those kind of services?

It's great to hear that worked out for you @bobfossil.

What you mentioned sounds entirely possible. With professional assistance to move the plumbing and electrics, I can't see any issue installing a new sink, bench and cabinetry. We don't currently offer plumbing and electrical services, so you might like to use a site similar to hipages to search for qualified professionals.

Let us know if you would like to install the bench or cabinetry yourself, as I trust our helpful members will have plenty of advice. Whilst in the planning stage, I'm sure you'll find this guide useful: How to plan a laundry renovation. You'll also find some great inspiration with our Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks again. I do have a couple of questions if that's alright, here is the basic plan for the revamp:

- Remove existing sink + cabinet (tbh not sure where to even start here but I can investigate more)

- Get a plumber to add new tap(s) for the washing machine/dishwasher that will be hidden by the new cabinet + get things ready to replace the existing tap with a mixer (spoke to someone I found through hipages already, thanks for the suggestion)

- potentially replace flooring (any advice on some waterproof flooring here? To minimize hassle I was thinking I could lay some vinyl sheeting over the existing tiles but I think it might be a bit of work to make it even underfoot beforehand so perhaps I may just rip all the tiles out first. At the very least I would need to replace those tiles that get damaged getting the cabinet/sink out)

- install new cabinet 

- install benchtop with sink (seeing as there's only room for the one cabinet underneath on the left hand side, I will need to add some kind of support on the other side for the benchtop to rest on, do you have any suggestions there?)

- install tiles for a splashback

No rush but any advice is welcome, I haven't done this before which would be pretty obvious :wink:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bobfossil

I always suggest making a list and taping it to your laundry wall. This will remind you of the steps that you'll need to make. Disassembly is at the top of the list. Capping off the hot and cold taps will be a good starting point for you. Once the area is clear, you can now decide if you're putting new floor tiles in or just laying down vinyl flooring. 

The final position of cabinets and machines is critical and must be marked off on the wall to give the plumber a reference on where to put the taps. The plumber will have to do a return visit to connect the laundry tub to the outlet pipe. Once the plumbing is done you can call on the electrician and have them move the powerpoint to its new location. Once the trades are done the rest is up to you. Fitting the base cabinet, putting the benchtop on which by the way is supported with slim angle brackets on the other end. 

Next is the laundry tub, it usually comes with a template on where to cut. Just a friendly reminder to make sure that you are within the interior boundaries of the base cabinet to prevent any accidental cuts. It's then followed by the wall cabinets and then the splashback. I've placed a few images to give you an idea of what to look out for and how the benchtop is supported at the other end.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hey EricL, how to deal with if the laundry tub had only one inlet to absorb water…. I.e. at present only the Washng machine drain outlet goes into this…. Can I combine/join both the drain outlets and make them them as one outlet into the laundry tub??

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Skyel2022

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing two machine outlets into a single waste outlet.

It is possible to install two outlets into a single sink trap. I suggest using FIX-A-TAP 50mm S And P Trap, this would be the easiest way to connect two machines into a single outlet. Please keep in mind to make sure that the machine hoses are long enough to reach the inlets.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks a lot EricL for your response and details. Can you please advise if Bunnings located near Ashfield, NSW 2131 or near by stores can arrange a service for the above??

I would be more than happy to get it done by Bunnings rather than doing it myself if possible.

Regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Skyel2022

Technically the store offers a Dishwasher Installation Service and it is for a like-for-like straight swap. I'm not sure if this extends to washing machine installations. Please be aware that new installations will incur extra costs. If you can give me the name of the closest store to you, I can make some enquiries for you and see if they will be willing to extend the service to include an extra machine and the installation of a new sink trap. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects