Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install family toilet seat?

tanteNdut
Growing in Experience

How to install family toilet seat?

Hi folks, 

We purchased a family toilet seat cover from Bunnings and watched a couple of videos. 

I've managed to remove our current seat and found out that I need to move one of the existing metal rod slightly to fit the family seat. 

Anyone can tell me how I can undo the rod? All the videos I've watched indicated that there should be a screw somewhere but I can't see any. 

Thanks! 

20221118_110909.jpg

20221118_110343.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install family toilet seat?

Hello @tanteNdut

Thank you for sharing your question about installing your toilet seat. There are two possible scenarios for your toilet set installation. First, the post was installed and secured before the toilet pan was fixed to the wall. Second, the post is screwed on from the top and fixed in place by a plastic anchor.

I suggest trying this technique, you'll notice that at the bottom of the post there are flat grooves for a tool to hold onto. I recommend using the Trojan 150mm Adjustable Wide Mouth Wrench. It has low-profile pincers that will let you grab onto the bottom of the post. Once you have it on, turn the post anti-clockwise and see if it starts to loosen up. If it does, please keep in mind that once you take this post off you'll no longer be able to re-use it.

Unscrew the rest of the post by hand and remove the plastic fixing sleeve by pulling it out. However, should the post refuse to come out and just keeps turning, it is probably fixed from the inside. It will be necessary to remove the pan in order to get access to the toilet seat posts.

When you have these specialized toilet suites, it is often better to replace the seat with like for like. If you can identify the toilet and its model you should be able to get a seat that is compatible with the posts that are already fixed in your pan.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your new toilet seat fixed in place.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects