Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lower the floor waste?

ButcherBoy
Getting Established

How to lower the floor waste?

Hi team, I have an issue where I am changing the flooring and then found my floor waste was too high. How do I lower the level of the floor waste? I’ve managed to get the old waste out…. It appears to be a 100mm pipe.  In a perfect world I would like the waste to be flush with concrete…

71265315840__EE518A08-ADC6-4753-B22E-A30FA993059E.jpeg71265402602__A2C529E0-38EB-425B-8271-138779B2389F.jpegI

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to lower the floor waste?

Hi @ButcherBoy,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We hope you get loads of inspiring ideas and helpful advice from our members for all your projects around the house and garden. It looks like you are tackling a complete bathroom renovation. How exciting! It will be great to learn more about your project. 

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to assist you when he is back on the site later today. Other members with plumbing experience include @LePallet@JDE@Santullo@tom_builds.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ButcherBoy 

One of the reasons that the waste outlet is proud of the concrete floor is because it has been designed with tiling in mind. A 4mm layer of tile adhesive plus a 6mm tile will easily come very close to the level of your waste outlet.

However, if you don't plan on tiling the area the only way to lower the pipe work is to break apart the concrete surrounding it and cutting the pipe with a Multi Tool in combination with a Kango 3 - Piece Titanium Toughened Plunge Cut Multi-Tool Blade Set KOATV-3. Once you reach your desired level, it's always important to do a test fit to make sure that the waste is at the level that you want it to be. 

Once you are satisfied with the level, you can begin to patch the concrete with Dingo 10kg Mortar Mix. Please make sure to give the mortar enough time to cure before you start walking over it.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your relevelling project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

ButcherBoy
Getting Established

Thanks Eric

I was worried that was going to be the answer I got.... Looks like I'm going to learn how to tile.

Appreciate the great advice

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ButcherBoy 

If you are planning on tiling the concrete floor, I suggest having a look at this handy step-by-step guide - How to lay floor tiles

If you need more advice or information, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects