Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a textured wall smooth?

Karlypoo
Finding My Feet

How to make a textured wall smooth?

Textured wall.jpg

 Hey there -  a first time post for me.

We have a textured wall in our bathroom that we want to smooth. I tried paint stripper and sanding on a section and found that it seems to just be painted mortar?? Anyways, the easiest solution ive seen online is to apply a fine coat mortar that is suitable for paints (e.g. https://www.bunnings.com.au/dunlop-20kg-fine-coat-render_p0760244?store=2433&gclid=CjwKCAjwgqejBhBAE...).

Before i go down this route, does this sound like a good idea? Any advice? e.g. cleaning and sanding pre application or alternative methods?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a textured wall smooth?

Hi @Karlypoo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your textured wall.

In order to apply the Dunlop 20kg Fine Coat Render the wall must be prepared, and the paint removed. It's important that the render be in direct contact with the concrete wall and not the paint. 

I suggest using the rest of your paint remover to remove the paint on the area you are rendering over. Give the wall a good clean with a bristle brush and a clean rag. Make sure to use your vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment to remove all the remaining dust on the wall and floor.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and dust mask when working on your wall.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @EricL - thank you so much for the reply! 

I have seen a few videos of people applying finecoat to what seem like painted walls and that dunlop product says that it can be applied to paint. Are there perhaps other products or pretreatments that are required to apply a finecoat render to paint?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Karlypoo 

I suggest using the Dunlop 1L Multipurpose Water Based Primer, it is a water-based primer which enhances the bond between substrates and the Dunlop rendering products. Although the render can technically be applied to a painted surface, it is always prudent to remove or agitate the surface to make sure that the surface is rough enough for the render to hold on to.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects