Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to measure hole for bathroom ceiling fan?

ironbark
Building a Reputation

How to measure hole for bathroom ceiling fan?

I have a new ceiling going up, into which are going some lights and an extractor fan. The electrics are in place awaiting for the return of the 'sparkie'. The holes for the downlight present no problems. The ceiling extractor will be fitted to 150mm ducting. My question is; what diameter hole do I need to leave for the fan to be fitted. Also do these fans come with an easy clip fitting to hold them in place on the ceiling or do I need to position some battens in place to screw the unit onto the ceiling. If that is the case, how far apart should those battens be?

Many thanks 👷😊

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: how do I fit a ceiling fan in the bathroom

Hey @ironbark , 

Every fan we've installed into our bathrooms came with a template to place onto our roof to get the accurate cut out needed, they also came with clips. Do you know which fan you are using (or have already purchased it)?

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ironbark,

It's great to see that @Remarka6le is already offering assistance. As he's mentioned, the diameter hole needed is determined by the size and brand of the fan you're installing and not all "300mm" fans will have a 250mm cutout. The cutout is typically around 50mm less in diameter than the front cover plate. However, you'll need the template for your fan to be sure, as there's no point in cutting a hole that's too large and having to repair the ceiling. To confirm, all exhaust fans fix to the plaster with some time of clip mechanism. 

If you are installing one of our fans, I'll be happy to try and locate the template for that model for you and find out the diameter of the cutout.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ironbark
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell and Remarka6le, thank you both. I haven't bought the ceiling fan yet and will chat to my sparkie for his recommendation. Just needed to know if I had to put in some support battens prior to plasterboarding, seems that isn't the case.

Appreciate the advice. 

Cheers Jan

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects