Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount dryer to laundry wall in apartment?

laurenvan
Just Starting Out

How to mount dryer to laundry wall in apartment?

Hi there,

I want to mount a dryer to the wall of my laundry in my apartment. It is a brick style building. I obviously don't want to hit a water line, so am wondering how to know if it's safe to drill above the laundry sink area. Are the supply lines usually chased in? Do they run vertically above water taps? Is there a general rule of thumb for where plumbing goes? 

Thanks for any advice! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to mount dryer to laundry wall in apartment?

Hi @laurenvan,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community. 

So sorry for the slow reply. Unfortunately we don't have one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts on the community this weekend due to unforeseen circumstances. 

Do you know what the wall you'd like to attach your dryer to is made from? For example, is it plasterboard? Typically you would use a stud finder for this task. We have a guide How to use a stud finder that you might find helpful. If you could please let us know more details about the wall, we would be happy to assist. You can also get some ideas from other discussions about hanging dryers on the site - it is a common topic. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason,

It is a brick wall. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @laurenvan 

My apologies for the late reply. Thanks for sharing your question about mounting your dryer on a brick wall. Before you begin, I suggest you using a stud finder to try and locate the services in your wall. The last thing you want to happen is to accidentally cause a leak or flood.

Once you've determined that the water services are not in the way, I suggest using the following Ramset materials:

The general steps are to use 90x45 timber as a mounting point for the dryer's mounting brackets. Holes are drilled into the brick wall and the Ramset Multi Sieve is used if you have hollow bricks, but if you have solid bricks, you can glue the Ramset Anchor Stud directly into the hole.

Once the Anchor Studs are secure and the adhesive has cured, you can then install the timber mounting. I suggest using a nut and bolt set to hold the dryer bracket in place. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Ramset Ultrafix

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to mount dryer with no studs? by @bect73

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

bect73
Cultivating a Following

The dryer is safely secured to the wall. Thankyou for all your handy tips and information. I’m proud of myself for accomplishing this task on my own with valuable information from all at Bunnings workshop 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @bect73. You should indeed feel proud!

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you need a hand or have a project to share with other members.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects