Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a shower grate?

viide
Finding My Feet

How to paint a shower grate?

09401071-A3A3-4AFF-87DF-4A873C7E82EA.jpeg

I have a shower grate that is not metal and the paint or cover is peeling off. Is there a way to repaint the grate so it looks better?

The photo should explain better what I mean.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint a shower grate?

Hello @viide 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your shower grate.

Thanks for sharing that photo of the shower grate. That shower grate was originally finished in chrome, but time has worn away the finish. In order to change the finish, you'll need to sand the surface of the grate. I suggest using a 240grit sandpaper and finishing off with a 320grit for a smooth finish. Wash the grate with soap and water to remove any oil or grease that might have deposited itself on the grate. The grate itself can be removed by twisting it anti-clockwise. Make sure to get in between the small spaces and wash the back thoroughly. 

Once the grate is totally dry, I suggest using Dulux 325g Duramax Plastic Primer Spray Paint and once the primer has cured you can then spray it with any colour you like. Another option is the Rust-Oleum 340g 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Prime Satin Blossom White Spray Paint. This has the primer mixed in with it so you can use this spray paint directly onto the plastic.

In order to provide an extra layer of toughness to the paint job, I propose using White Knight Rust Guard 300g Clear Guard Quick Dry Spray Paint. I recommend a minimum of two coats of clear so that the finish will be extra strong. I suggest leaving the grate cover out in the sun for an hour to harden the finish. To prevent overspray from going onto the tiles and shower panels, I suggest masking the area with drop sheets and masking tape.   

Please make sure to keep your windows and doors open to provide good air circulation. In the interest of safety make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when you begin working on your bathroom grate.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
viide
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the detailed information and recommendations.

I will give it a go on the weekend :smile:

Thanks again Vicki

viide
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the help, it was as simple as you described and here is a pic of the result.

AFBEAA83-B5EB-4F70-B7CF-D391E450A947.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Lovely work @viide! Your effort has really paid off as the grate looks so much better. You much be pleased with those results.

Well done and many thanks for sharing your great work. Reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home and garden; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Hi there, would your advice work on my drain?

20231019_180126.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MandyLR 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting your shower grate.

One of the first things you'll need to find out is if your grate is made of plastic or is it made of brass. Using the same sanding and cleaning techniques I suggested in my post earlier. Remove the chrome covering on from the surface of your waste cover. If it is plastic, I suggest using the paint products I suggested to refresh your waste cover.

However, if it is brass, you now have two options before you. You can bring the brass to a high shine and seal it with the clear spray. The other option is to spray paint it, but instead of using the plastic primer, I suggest using the White Knight Rust Guard 400g Grey SLS Etch Primer Spray Paint. For the topcoat I recommend using your choice of White Knight Rust Guard Enamel Spray. Please make sure to apply the clear spray for extra toughness.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

MandyLR
Just Starting Out

Thank you so much. The person who resealed/regrouted my shower today said it was metal not plastic, so I'm guessing brass? He was unable to remove the covering and suggested that continuing to attempt this may damage the tiling. I guess I'll just have to do my best without removing it. Assuming it's all brass, what's the best product to use to get it to a high shine after sanding? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MandyLR 

To avoid any chemical residue on top of the brass, I suggest using a large rubber eraser. Once you've polished the surface you can then seal it with the clear spray.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects