Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint concrete shower base?

anthony96
Just Starting Out

How to paint concrete shower base?

Trying to find a paint or similar to paint an old concrete shower base( the ones with mosaic tiles in the middle)
It's a rental property so preferably something quick drying and not too expensive
Thought something in a spray can if there's such a thing

20230323_132544.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint concrete shower base?

Hello @anthony96 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's delightful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your concrete shower base.

From the photo that you posted it looks like a pebblecrete surface, is it the same material inside the shower? You were mentioning something about mosaic tiles inside the shower area, is this on the wall or on the floor?  I'm sorry, but the store does not carry a paint product that is rated for use on a shower base.

Having had a second look at your flooring, it looks like artificial vinyl with a pebblecrete pattern on it. If that's the case, I can only recommend replacing it with tiles. Due to the nature of the vinyl surface, paint will not anchor itself to the surface of that material.

Please let me know if it is a different kind of material.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint concrete shower base?

Hi @anthony96,

Before you go ahead and paint the surface, it would be worthwhile to determine exactly what it is. It's certainly not a concrete floor; if it is stone, it's most likely terrazzo. Terrazzo is not only a durable surface, but it's very sought-after and on-trend at the moment. It might only need a clean and seal to bring back its natural lustre.

Let me mention a few of our knowledgeable members, like @redbournreno and @prettylivingfor their thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects