Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint over stained wood wall panels and door in the bathroom?

clumsytom
Just Starting Out

How to paint over stained wood wall panels and door in the bathroom?

Our bathroom walls are almost entirely covered in stained wood panelling and I want to paint them a light colour (white, cream?).

I am a bit worried about this as I do not know what primers and paints will cover the stained wood panelling without the stain coming through and be able to deal with the damp and steam of a bathroom in a part of Australia where it gets very hot in summer and very cold in winter (Victoria's Alpine valleys).

Would I be better to use oil or water-based products (I prefer water), do I need some special stain blocker primer, can I use gloss on the stained wooden door and cabinets over the same primer I use on the wood panelling on the walls?

Can you advise on particular products.

Do I also need to use special products to paint the laundry ceiling and walls (which have no panelling) or will standard paint be OK?

What traps do I need to watch out for WITH ALL THIS

Advice appreciated

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint over stained wood wall panels and door in the bathroom?

Hello @clumsytom 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about painting your timber walls. 

There are products such as Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker that provide excellent coverage and prevent stains from bleeding through. But before we go any further, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of your bathroom walls and cabinet? 

This will give our members a chance to assess your timber walls. We can then make recommendations on what products to use for your bathroom. My only other thoughts regarding your bathroom revamp are heat and ventilation. Have you considered installing an exhaust fan to pull the humidity out of the bathroom? 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks Eric

will not be able to post photos for a couple of weeks as travelling before i get back to ne victoria to start the painting jobs.

there is an exhaust fan already in the bathroom.

i am an amateur at painting jobs and a bit worried in case i stuff this all up

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @clumsytom 

Don't worry, we'll be right here every step of the way. We'll offer you advice and information regarding what steps to take what paint and rollers to use and what you need to watch out for so that you minimize any mistakes. 

Please let us know when you are back from your vacation and are ready to begin.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects