Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent moisture on bathroom walls?

Vini875
Just Starting Out

How to prevent moisture on bathroom walls?

After a hot shower, the side walls in bathroom has moisture, only the area where there are no tiles (20% area). This happens even with exhaust in bathroom on. 

How to find root cause and fix it ?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to prevent moisture on bathroom walls?

Afternoon @Vini875 

Love moisture in bathrooms not! Do you know when your exhaust fan was cleaned last? I have had fans that have been caked in dust that slowed down the exit of the warm moisture ladden air. If you can get to the fan you may be able to see the model and then can look up the amount of air in cubic meters that its been built to handle. I cant think of another reason atm why you walls that are untiled would end up with moisture on them but will have a think about it.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prevent moisture on bathroom walls?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Vini875. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preventing moisture in bathrooms.

It's great to see that @Dave-1 has already provided some helpful advice. As mentioned, I'd look first at cleaning your grill and fan blades to ensure they are not covered in dust and grime, reducing airflow. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'd suggest a higher-flow fan. I recently went with a larger, more powerful unit, and it resolved the moisture building up on the ceiling, which dripped cold water back onto me in the shower.

Failing the above working, you might like to crack a window or door to allow fresh air into the room. If the room is tightly sealed, this might inhibit the fan's ability to evacuate the moist air.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects