Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to put up a shelf in the laundry.

LucyLuNoClue
Just Starting Out

How to put up a shelf in the laundry.

My laundry wallMy laundry wallShelving I hope to achieveShelving I hope to achieveQ1: I have watched a tutorial on how to use the stud finder. I understand the process, however the stud finder alerts me to AC over the whole wall.

Q2: I purchased the Carinya 185 x 235 x 40mm Deco Lipped Angel Bracket. When I picked them up I was surprised at how heavy they are. Will they be too heavy for the studs?

The two pictures I've uploaded are what I have, and what I'm trying to achieve. Previous owner had a dryer on the wall (I think).

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to put up a shelf in the laundry.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LucyLuNoClue. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about hanging shelves.

My first thought is that the stud finder was not successfully calibrated. I would re-run that process on another part of the wall. I can't imagine that there would be electrical cables over the entire wall. If that still doesn't work, please provide details of the product, and I'll look into the issue.

The studs will hold the weight of the Carinya 185 x 235 x 40 x 6mm Black Deco Lipped Angle Brackets, your shelves and their contents just fine. You wouldn't want to hang them off the plasterboard, but the studs can hold a significant amount of weight within the realms of 50-100kgs.

I'd suggest that the current dryer bracket timber is likely screwed into the studs and should indicate their position. Look for some screws in the large piece of timber at the top spaced approximately 450 or 600mm apart. You can follow those screw locations down the wall and install your brackets directly under them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects