Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to reattach shower screen's handle?

DonaldT
Getting Established

How to reattach shower screen's handle?

hi, I would like to seek the best method and product to reattach this glass door's metal handle. I read something like epoxy but I wasn't too sure.  Thanks.20240206_221825_resized.jpg20240206_221831_resized (1).jpg20240206_222705_resized.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Reattached shower screen's handle

Hi @DonaldT 

Some times I would  say  silicon but in your case as it is a handle i would use araldite epoxy glue. 5 minute or  normal  should  do.  Have  strong tape  ready to hold the handle firmly  in place until the glue sets, in say 24 hours for more full strength.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DonaldT 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I would also like to recommend having a look at Selleys® 10g Power Grip™Super Strong All Purpose Glue Adhesive. It is a superior all-purpose glue, with high durability. It sticks virtually anything, is shockproof, dishwasher safe, water and weatherproof, drip-free, heat resistant from -15°C to +120°C, paintable and solvent free.

It's best to hold the handle in place with masking tape until the glue cures. Once the glue is dry and secure you can take the masking tape off.

Please be aware that you are working with tempered glass and when extreme pressure is applied to it there is the possibility that it could shatter and cause injury. If you are having a difficult time removing the old adhesive, I suggest engaging the services of a professional glazier to remove it for you.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks. will give it a try

DonaldT
Getting Established

Thanks Eric. 👍

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DonaldT 

Please don't forget to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see how the repairs went.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

DonaldT
Getting Established

Another question.

What do you think of the 2 strips of black foam stuck on the handle? Shall I remove them as well before applying the epoxy & glue?

Thanks.

DonaldT_0-1707550013514.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DonaldT,

The foam can likely be removed, but whether the adhesive will stick better to the foam or the chrome plating is debatable. Given that the glue might dissolve the foam, I'd remove it.

Mitchell

all fixed. got rid of the foam and used epoxy glue.

Start hardening around 3 minutes and then masking tape on. Fully cured after 24 hours.

So far so good. Thanks all for the advice. 

20240215_132250_resized.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Nice one, @DonaldT!

Many thanks for updating us on your success.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects