Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to reduce exhaust fan noise?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

How to reduce exhaust fan noise?

Hi Legends,

Screenshot_20240221_193717_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

Is there an easy way to clean the exhaust fan? It's making a rattling noise.

What should we do? We have a can of WD-40.

Many thanks for any ideas..!

jaiprak
Having an Impact

Re: Exhaust fan noise

Most likely the motor reached end of life 😀. You should be able to pry open on the sides and get access to the fan to clean. You can also remove the entire set to clean it outside and put it back. The replacement ones are about 20-30$ and can be done by yourself because they are usually plugged into it and not connected to live wires.

Re: Exhaust fan noise

Hi @ivanptr 

It could be  a loose cover and some times a loose leave  or  other etc  can fall into the blades and make that  noise.

Fan  power off

Stand on a stool the cover will come of lever it with butter  knife.

Dust the cover and  vacuum the fan blades  use a bit of silicon spray on  the fan shaft if visable but not while power is connected.

Never use wd40 as it is combustable around power.

Test the  fan and see it it sounds good put the cover back on might be  good foe a  couple of more  years.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to reduce exhaust fan noise?

Hello @ivanptr 

Please remember that if the exhaust fan is old the cover might be brittle so, please be careful when removing it. Make sure to wear disposable gloves as it will be very dusty and there might be leaves and loose insulation that has gotten caught up with the fan blades.

I suggest using Selleys 120 Pack Complete Clean Multipurpose Disinfectant Wipes. This will clean your fan blades and cover very well. However, if the noise remains then odds are the motor has failed and must be replaced. 

I suggest bringing your exhaust cover with you to the store and compare it with the ones available to make sure that it will fit in your existing ceiling cut out.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects