Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a 1/4 turn tap spindle to fix a leaking tap?

GaryArmadale
Finding My Feet

How to remove a 1/4 turn tap spindle to fix a leaking tap?

Hi,

A 1/4 turn hot tap is leaking.

I have removed the tap to reveal the spindle (see photo 1).

I have removed part of the top of the spindle to reveal the rest of the spindle and a washer (see photo 2).

I guess I will need to remove the spindle, but how do I do this as it seems to be stuck ?tap spindle photo 1.jpgtap spindle photo 2.jpg

Regards

Gary

A 1/4 turn hot tapPhoto 1: Whole SpindlePhoto 1: Whole SpindlePhoto 2: Part of Spindle RemovedPhoto 2: Part of Spindle Removed is leaking.

I have removed the tap to reveal the spindle (see photo 1).

I have removed part of the top of the spindle to reveal the rest of the spindle and a washer (see photo 2).

Question: Do I need to just replace the washer or do I need to remove the whole spindle ?

Regards

Gary

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Leaking Hot Water Tap: Removing a 1/4 turn tap spindle

Good Evening @GaryArmadale 

I must admit I havnt seen a spindal/tap with what looks like a U circlip before. I suspect that U part needs to be removed (Circlip) before that nut underneath can be turned and the spindal then undone to finally get to the washer you want. 

I am going to suggest we wait for @EricL to get back. I have been going through tap questions :smile: and he really seems to know his buisness. He should be back tomorrow i think.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a 1/4 turn tap spindle to fix a leaking tap?

Hello @GaryArmadale 

Thanks for sharing your question about your tap spindle. Your suspicions are correct, the spindle has to be removed in full. Unfortunately, ceramic spindles can't be repaired but must be replaced. The first part you removed is called a locking sleeve, this brass piece is used to keep the actual spindle from turning out and preventing it from unscrewing itself.

The circlip is meant to keep the ceramic assembly together, please don't remove it as it will make removing the spindle much harder. You'll notice that at the side of the spindle there are two flat surfaces. This is where the clamps of the adjustable wrench are suppose to sit on. Once you have a firm hold with the wrench, turn the spindle anti-clockwise to loosen it up.

Binding often happens when the spindle has been in the tap body for a long time. In this instance, I suggest getting a much larger wrench so that you can get more leverage. Another method you can try is to hold the wrench tightly with one hand and slapping the top of your closed fist with the base of your palm to generate a slight pushing motion on the spindle.

If after a fair amount of effort and the spindle still refuses to move, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. They will have the proper tools to loosen up the stuck spindle.       

However, if you succeed, I recommend bringing the spindle to the store so that you can compare it to the replacement spindle sets available. I also suggest bringing the original tap handle to make sure it fits the replacement spindle. If it does not fit, new tap handle sets are available in the plumbing department.

Please note that it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this type of work. If in doubt consult your local building authority before going any further. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@GaryArmadale and @EricL 

:smile: And just learned about a new tap! lol So many types. Thank you Eric.

Dave

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please clarify where the adjustable wrench should sit on in regards to the two flat surface.

The lowest surface is an eight sided plate, the higher surface is a round plate.

Should the spanner be sitting on the eight sided plate so that I am trying to turn the round plate ?

Do I need to hold the spanner vertically or horizontally ?

Thank you

Hi @GaryArmadale,

The image below shows that number two has the eight-sided plate removed. Once the eight-sided plate is removed, it will expose the spindle with the two flat surfaces, which I've also marked with arrows. Place your adjustable wrench on the flat surfaces horizontally and turn anti-clockwise. 

Please let me know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects