Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a stuck tap spindle?

barydos
Having an Impact

How to remove a stuck tap spindle?

Hi there,

I was excited to remove some really old taps with a mixer (https://www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-chrome-pin-lever-basin-mixer-wels-4-star-7-5l-min_p5003308). I definitely got the mixer working which is great, but the old tap handles - which I intended to replace with cover plates (https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-white-basin-cover-plate_p4920336) - are stuck! 

PXL_20240203_075143789.jpg

The way it is now is that all 3 holes are in the way of my mixer + cover plates 🙃

PXL_20240203_075136174.jpg

To be honest, I had actually loosened the nuts that joined the tap spindles with the middle connector part which sits under the spout (under the middle hole). Looking back, I probably should've kept them on before I went about trying to remove the nut on the spindles (above the basin). So now it looks like this underneath.

PXL_20240203_081912278.MP.jpg

Anyway I tried loosening the spindles in various ways, and I'm worried I might've already ruined the nut (originally used an adjustable wrench in a desperate manner instead of a proper tap spanner). So I've come to the workshop for some advice. If it comes to it, I'll call a professional but otherwise, thanks in advance for your help!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a STUCK tap spindle!

Hi @barydos,

Just to let you know, this is considered plumbing work, requiring a licensed plumber. The plumber would likely reconnect the breech under the sink as it locks the spindles from spinning. Since the corners of the nuts are being rounded over by an adjustable wrench, they'd probably try a pipe wrench. They might even try to undo that larger nut lower down on the sink's surface, as that would likely undo the fixture. Just make sure they protect the sink surface, as the tools can cause scratching. When all else fails, sometimes locking pliers are used as a catch-all solution as they can be adjusted to tightly clamp down on rounded nuts.

Tap spanners are not good for stuck fittings and are best used for new installations.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc!

Pipe wrench did the trick after a bit of muscle!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Nice one, @barydos!

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects