Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove hazy marks on bathroom mirror?

someguy2k
Getting Established

How to remove hazy marks on bathroom mirror?

Bathroom Mirror got hazy marks. I tried shaving cream, vinegar and windex. Not able to remove.

Any suggestions or ideas ?

IMG20240105180944.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to remove hazy marks on Bathroom Mirror

Good Evening @someguy2k 

Have the marks been there since you have lived there or were they there before? It kind of looks like the backing of the mirror may be perished due to water or gluing to the wall? If thats the case the mirrow will have to be replaced 😕 I dont know any way to bring back the "wrong side" of a mirror :smile: I have my old grandfathers mirror that the silver paint on the back is flaking and gives a look similar to yours.

I would also like to say welcome to the Bunnings community page :), If anywhere you might find someone with this same issue and know what can be done.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @someguy2k,

If you look at the glass at an angle, can you tell whether this is on the surface of the glass or, as @Dave-1 mentioned, is it an effect on the silvering? If this haze has always been there, there is a good chance that an acetic-cure silicone was used to adhere it to the wall. If you don't use a non-acetic-cure silicone, it can destroy the silvering on the rear side of the mirror.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
someguy2k
Getting Established

Hi @Dave-1 , the marks been there since I moved in. Did think of the option of replacing the mirror, wanted to explore other options before replacing. Btw, would it be difficult to remove the mirror ?

Hi @MitchellMc ,

It seems looking at an angle under the surface.  The Mirror is actually on metal ( possibly Aluminum frame and backing then glued on the wall it seems)

IMG20240106160810.jpg

Sorry, @someguy2k, I was referring to looking at the glass to try and determine whether this haze was on the surface of it, or whether it was damage to the silver layer that's sprayed onto the back of the mirror. Take a look at the glass at an angle; you'll see the 3mm glass and then the spray on the back of it. You might be able to determine whether these are surface marks or damage to the silver paint on the back of the glass. You might not be able to see, as it's hard for a brain to conceive that a mirror is not just a flat shiny object but actually a piece of glass with a thickness and with shiny spray on the back of it.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc , I see, it looks like the damage is on the back of the glass.

Unfortunately, it would be a case of replacing the mirror to resolve the issue @someguy2k. In regards to how easy that would be, it depends on the size of the mirror. Taking a guess at the size, I would suggest that you consider enlisting the services of a professional, as depending on how well it is adhered to the wall, there is a high risk of shattering the glass on removal, which could lead to injury.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects