Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove mould in silicone?

stuart21
Just Starting Out

How to remove mould in silicone?

How can I remove mould in silicone? My new bathroom is only 12 months old so I didn’t think I had to change the silicone?

thanks heaps 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove mould in silicone?

Hi @stuart21,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and are confident our wonderful members will provide plenty of help and inspiration for you.

Could you please let us know what products you have tried so far to remove the mould? Have you tried something like 30 Seconds Mould Off? It is recommended by Workshop member @PJA in this discussion. It might also be helpful for you to take a photo or two so members can see what you are working with.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove mould in silicone?

Hello @stuart21

Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about removing mould from silicone.

It sometimes happens when silicone is placed onto the shower joints and the water used to clean the silicone is dirty or contaminated. This embeds the spores into the silicone and causes mould growth. I recommend using Selleys 750ml Rapid Mould Killer Remover. I use this product in my own shower and it's great at removing mould. I suggest spraying it directly on the infected area and leave it to activate.

Please make sure not to clean or scrub too early while the spray is active. Once you see the mould break down, you can then proceed to clean it with a Sabco Soft Grip Grout Brush. This lets you go into those corners and tight spaces where an ordinary brush might have trouble going in. If the colour of the silicone has been damaged by the mould, the only option is to reseal the area with new silicone. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your shower clear of mould.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects