Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove plug from bathroom sink?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to remove plug from bathroom sink?

The plug in our bathroom sink is the press button type.   The cylinder that is screwed into the top plug came apart due to age, so I have bought a new fitting and now have to remove the old casing.   In the pic attached you can see the inside of the drainpipe.    The circular part is actually casing that twists out - and I haven'drain.jpgpliers.jpgt been able to twist it out.  I bought some long neck pliers, but still I cant move it.    Is there a special tool I could get to remove the casing?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to remove part from bathroom drain?

Hello @ennoh

Thank you for sharing those pictures of your sink plug. I'm afraid you won't be able to generate enough gripping force with those long nose pliers. I suggest using an Irwin 150mm vice-grip Long Nose Locking Pliers. Please note that these pliers will generate a great deal of locking force and will pinch the old cylinder. Just be careful not to crush the cylinder or there will be nothing to hold on to. Your objective is to get a good grip to allow you to unscrew the old cylinder out.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your plug and waste repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric - off to Bunnings again for me :unhappy:

Do you know if I have to unscrew the casing in a clockwise direction or counter-clockwise?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @ennoh

The casing has to turn counter-clockwise to unscrew it. Just a friendly reminder to apply steady pressure so as not to damage anything inside the waste assembly.

Eric

ennoh
Building a Reputation

hi Eric, there were none at Melville and was told that O'Connor had four but they didnt....   I got chatting with a very helpful young man in the O'Connor tool shop and he found another brand - the Trojan 150mm locking plier and I am thrilled to say that it worked - and I have fixed the sink plug.  Thanks so much for your help - I'd never heard of locking pliers and I'm not sure if I will get any more use out of them, but I saved myself a lot in plumbers fees :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ennoh

It's great to hear that you've managed to remove the old brass body. Make sure to give the waste body a good clean before installing the new mechanism.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects