Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove this type of bathtub drain?

Pillowcase
Just Starting Out

How to remove this type of bathtub drain?

Hi folks, 

I was hoping for some assistance on how to remove this particular type of bathtub drain, in order to be able to unclog it with a plumbing snake, long hook, etc.

The surrounding white ring feels like it's made of plastic, which is as deep to the point of the metal component with the three prongs.

The middle golden thing is spring-actuated, which is used to block the drain - the blocking cap meant to be on it was removed to take this photo.

Do I have to pry it from, or twist the white ring part? Try to force it upwards with pliers/hooks on the metal grate? Is it possible to even remove at all? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_5854_jpg.JPG

IMG_5855_jpg.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove this type of bathtub drain?

Hello @Pillowcase

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing your bath drain.

The only other part you can remove from this assembly is the Pop Up Waste Mechanism. Unfortunately, this type of waste is usually built as an all-in-one assembly. However, looking at the set you have it might have a removable centre. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how it's put together. I recommend spraying the internal sides with WD40 and seeing if the centre piece will come out. Please note that excessive force will damage the assembly.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects