Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove vanity waste?

Dodgers03c
Finding My Feet

How to remove vanity waste?

Hi there workshoppers! 
stuck with this one - I’ve replaced many vanity wastes before but never came across one like this and it has me stumped. 

also - if anyone can recommend a replacement?

IMG_1912.jpeg

IMG_1911.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove vanity waste?

Hi @Dodgers03c 

Surly that silver part is  screwed in clamping the top pull up  plug down to seal water?

I could be wrong @EricL  would  know in that one he will be able to advise soon. :smile:

Hi @Jewelleryrescue I would have thought the same but that silver part is perfectly cylindrical with nothing to get a tool around. If it had two flat sides I would have got some plier, shifter etc around it. 

I’ve had some things stump me before but never a vanity haha!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dodgers03c 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your vanity waste. 

My apologies for the late reply. The vanity waste you have is similar to the MIXX Chrome Universal Pop Up Waste. The vanity waste is made up of three pieces. The cover cap, the top portion and the bottom waste. The entire assembly is kept together by a central screw that pulls the top portion and the bottom waste together.

The general steps to remove are to push the cover cap in the up position. Turn the cap anti-clockwise to remove. You'll now see the brass pop up mechanism. Use multigrips to clamp onto this brass post and turn it anti-clockwise. At this point if you shine a torch down the waste, you'll see the head of a brass screw with a Philips fitting.  

Using a Philips head screwdriver turn the screw anti-clockwise until it comes out. Be patient as the screw is very long. Please note that as soon as the screw releases the bottom part of the waste, you'll be able to unscrew it from the S trap of the basin.

Now the top portion might be fixed with glue or silicone so be careful in removing it. If you plan on recycling the waste, make sure to keep all the pieces together.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@EricL you are a legend. Years of gunk had hidden where that long bolt is so I never saw it. Worked a treat, the old one came right out and the new one was a breeze to install. Thank you very much!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear you solved the issue @Dodgers03c! Reach out anytime you need assistance around the home or garden; we're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects