Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate my bathroom without removing my bath?

mel2020
Just Starting Out

How to renovate my bathroom without removing my bath?

IMG_8445.jpeg

Hi

i would like to keep my old bath. There is this ‘ledge’ which I want to remove and tile the back of the bath. Essentially to reframe the back. Is this a major job? I’m 2 minded about buying a new bath as there is nothing wrong with bath. 

IMG_8446.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to renovate my bathroom without removing my bath?

Hello @mel2020 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about renovating your bathroom without removing your bath.

Looking at the photo you posted, the ledge next to your bath seems to serve as a divider between your bathtub and shower. However, I don't think it functions as anything else other than that. If that's the case, I think it should be ok to remove the ledge without compromising your bath frame.

But just to be on the safe side, I suggest adding a few timber noggins to the front of the existing bathroom frame in order to support it further. Once you've reinforced the frame you can then cover it with wet area plasterboard.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mel2020
Just Starting Out

Thanks so much for your input. I decided to remove and gut the whole bathroom 🙈. Going to get a new back to wall bath.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mel2020 

It's perfectly alright, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the type of bath you're after? Is it going to be a shower over bath, and will you be using an acrylic liner, or will you be tiling the wall? I only ask so that I can remind you that if you do decide to tile, it will be necessary to waterproof the wet area.

Can you also please post a few photos of your entire bathroom. I would also like to ask for the room measurements as well, I can then sketch up for you a sample layout to give you an idea of what your bathroom can look like.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects