Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate my laundry?

Evangeline
Just Starting Out

How to renovate my laundry?

image.jpg

I have a very ugly laundry! Have a new washing machine being delivered soon. Front loader. The laundry in my home is behind a door with no natural light. If anyone has any ideas of how to make this room more workable I’d be so grateful. 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to renovate my laundry?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Evangeline! We're delighted to have you join us. We look forward to seeing your D.I.Y. projects around the home and garden and assisting you where possible.

Renovating a laundry is a very popular discussion in our community. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to help with your question and assist in providing some ideas for your laundry when he's back online later today.  

While waiting, I suggest reading the guide How to plan a laundry renovation by experienced renovator @Adam_W. This guide will give you ideas on what to take into consideration when planning your laundry renovation. 

You can also have a look at the Top 10 most popular laundry projects shared on Workshop and 7 ways to transform your laundry for more inspiring ideas on what you can do with your space. In addition, the Bunnings team has shared several guides related to renovating a laundry, including How to design a laundry for your space and 12 ways to a perfect laundry, which you may find handy. 

Please do keep us updated as your laundry project progresses. I can't wait to see how you transform this space.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @Evangeline 

:smile: As @Akanksha says Laundry makeovers are a hot item for discussion!

Breakdown the laundry into areas that you feel comfortable working with. 

New washing machine, and its a front loader means you could have a bench across the top. (remember to make the space for the washing machine a little large for when it is replaced in the far future)

Would you be comfortable removing the metal sink and installing a new one that fits in with a longer benchtop?

Lighting, Slimline batton LED or maybe look around at some lighting stores for a wider slimline LED fluresent style fitting to give the room a daylight glow.

This is just and example of the style I am suggesting for the lighting panel LED Panel Lighting (I have had a look at Bunnings but didnt spot an example)

Shelving, I have seen some really nice timber styles that Bunnings community members have come up with. i couldnt even think of where to suggest to look first! :smile: I just searched for "Laundry shelves" and yeah soooo many ideas!

The last idea is to actually paint the floor tiles, This is what I will be doing in my bathroom sometime in the next year. 

Hope to see some photos of whichever way you go!

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Evangeline,

Great to have you join the community. 

I would recommend you provide the dimensions of the room to @EricL as he often creates 3D renders for Workshop community members so they can visualise how to transform their homes. A little basic sketch that shows where the plumbing and electrical connections are is even better - if you can makeover the space without having to move the services it can save a lot of money on tradespeople. 

Looking forward to seeing how you can makeover your laundry.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Evangeline 

My apologies for the late reply. While we are waiting for your laundry measurements, I've drawn up a possible layout for your laundry, please let me know if you would like to modify it, I'll be more than happy to re-draw it for you.

In the meantime, I suggest having a look at this discussion - Laundry reno with Kaboodle cabinets and benchtop by @theDIYedit. This is a well-planned renovation with room for a pantry and several cabinets. Lighting is provided by the LED strip at the back of the cabinets which I think can be applied to your situation. 

My only other recommendation is to consider installing a skylight so that natural light will enter your laundry room.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects