Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint old bathroom cupboards?

krystal2
Getting Established

How to repaint old bathroom cupboards?

EF41C197-91B5-461E-A4A0-A8F817D1707F.jpeg

I painted these cupboards a few years ago and this pink stuff has been slower spreading in certain areas. 
I want to sand back to the wood and try again. 

How do I avoid this pink stuff growing again and also scratching the wood when I sand it? 

6081EFBE-4DC3-40B7-9B45-E285BF01E60C.jpeg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to repaint old bathroom cupboards?

A lot of those scuffs just look like general wear and tear, and the pink looks like dust moth eggs that have just eaten away at the white paint. What happens when you try and clean it with a mixed solution (dishwashing soap and warm water / or distilled white vinegar and warm water) or something like Mould Off

I'd just take the cabinet doors off, give it a decent sand, repaint & seal. Sanding should get rid of the problem, but I'd look into what's causing the mold to grow in the first place so it doesn't happen again. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repaint old bathroom cupboards?

Hello @krystal2 

Thank you for sharing your question about how to paint your old bathroom cupboard doors. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Remarka6le. Just to add to the suggestions made, if you are planning to re-paint your doors, I suggest sanding them down and using Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker (minimum two coats). This will prime the door and block off any coloured paint that was on that door before. 

I recommend using Dulux 1L Aquanamel Semi Gloss White Enamel Paint it's ideal for doors and window trims. It is a water-based interior and exterior acrylic enamel that dries to an ultra-smooth and durable finish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  How to paint a Kaboodle door.

Although it is a Kaboodle door, the steps outlined are the same as painting your door. The only extra step is that you'll need to sand down your door. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects